Broken TopCase CABLE - OH NO!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danaccster, Jun 29, 2009.

1. danaccster macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I was cleaning out the fan on my MBP - Early 2008 kind. When I went to put everything back together I pulled the topcase cable connecting to the logic board out by accident. So naturally I am screwed, I have been looking for a replacement cable and want to avoid getting a whole new topcase. In the mean time is there anyway to turn my computer on?? I think I can work with an external keyboard and mouse, but since the topcase cable is busted the power button wont work. Does anyone know how i can use my computer until i figure this out. I have an appoint with at the apple store in a few days. I have a feeling this is going to cost me a few hundred.... all because of 1 cable. Please let me no ASAP!

Thanks alot!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

And I don't think that the cable itself is sold separately, meaning they would have to replace the entire top case assembly. On various sites, the part alone is $200-300.

Someone else might know, but I don't think there's a way to power the machine on otherwise.

3. crzdmniac macrumors regular

Ebay has top cases for about $50 (this is for the 15"), I don't believe there's any way to buy just the cable. Just chalk it up as a lesson, it could have been much more costly.

4. danaccster thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks like the item I need, is there any guide to reinstall it? I am kind of scared to do it myself seeing as I have no experience with these.