"Broken Up' MKV in VLC, QT but fine in Front Row?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kardashian, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I have an MKV file of "Milk" which originated from a BR disc.

The file 'breaks up' in VLC and Quicktime, sometimes freezing completely for a few seconds.

I have other BR rips (Twilight, Hancock, Eagle Eye..), which are between 4.5GB and 8GB each, and they don't have this problem when playing in QT, VLC or Front Row.

I ripped all the discs in exactly the same way - except with Milk (the problem file), I left all 3 sets of subtitles in with the conversion (this made it about 6.5GB overall)

So I thought maybe this was the reason QT and VLC had trouble dealing with the video, so I just converted it to a new MKV in HB, minus the subtitles - and still, the problem is there.

So now, I've turned my suspicions elsewhere. The only 2 main differences I can see in the QT information window are:
    1. The resolution is greater on 'Milk' than any other video
    2. For some reason, the Frame Rate jumps on 'Milk' from 16 FPS to over 327 (see attached)

Could this be the cause of the problem? Below I've attached 2 information windows from QT, comparing the stats of Milk to Twilight, which plays flawlessly.

Any idea on how to fix this, I'd be very grateful as I hate using Front Row for one file.

Edit: Ignore the file sizes, I took screenshots while the files were loading in QT, thats why they're both only a few hundred MB each.

Attached Files:

2. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian