Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I have a WD external HD 3 TB and somehow I knocked the cable that goes into the HD and came loose. I was really bummed that the connector broke off so I thought to buy a USB to IDE/SATA converter, but does not show up on my deskstop when i connect it. It gives me a "initialize, ignore, eject" options when the HD is plugged in the converter. I can open up disk utilities and see the WD ext HD but im afraid on what to do. I have alot of movies/music and documents that i really want to get off.

I cant do disk utitlies to verify or repair it does not give me that option. If i select initialize will it reformat the HD and thus erasing everything?
I have tried using Drill disk trial version but only gets about 11GB, i have 2.5 TB.
any ideas, recommendations?

THanks

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
portable or desktop drive? looks like the connector or controller board is damaged. chances are the drive is still good. if you feel up to it, open up the case and see if you can extract the drive. if so, that drive can be put in a new case or hooked up to an adapter and then you can copy the data to a new drive (I would not keep using he drive just in case). if you would rather not take that on, any computer repair shop should be able to help (but probably best to look for one that is friendly to Apple).

and the real takeaway here, if it's not backed up, expect to lose it.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
portable or desktop drive? looks like the connector or controller board is damaged. chances are the drive is still good. if you feel up to it, open up the case and see if you can extract the drive. if so, that drive can be put in a new case or hooked up to an adapter and then you can copy the data to a new drive (I would not keep using he drive just in case). if you would rather not take that on, any computer repair shop should be able to help (but probably best to look for one that is friendly to Apple).

and the real takeaway here, if it's not backed up, expect to lose it.

Its a desktop ext HD. I did take the HD out of the enclosure and got me a Vantec SATA/IDE USB cable adaptor and thats how im getting it to show up in disk utilities and the initialize, ignore and eject pop up from that adapter. Im curious to know if there is a differences between the adapter cable SATA to USB and the external enclosure USB? Im thinking the HD may pop up in a PC computer but not in my mac.
Does apple store really do that kind of stuff? retrieving docs from a ext HD? what do they charge.. ballpark price? Am i better off going to a local computer/PC repair shop?

thanks again

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
oh, I misunderstood, you already took it out of the enclosure. then it's likely that when the cable got twisted, the drive took power on a signal line. that might be the end of the drive. I wouldn't go to Apple, I just meant a repair/computer shop that also deals with Macintosh. Only so that you don't get a biased service tech that will have a negative view of you or the situation.

there are drive repair and data recovery services. I don't have one to recommend. if you are in a large city, you could look at yelp reviews... it will cost anywhere from dozens to hundreds of dollars, depending on the type of damage and drive.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
oh, I misunderstood, you already took it out of the enclosure. then it's likely that when the cable got twisted, the drive took power on a signal line. that might be the end of the drive. I wouldn't go to Apple, I just meant a repair/computer shop that also deals with Macintosh. Only so that you don't get a biased service tech that will have a negative view of you or the situation.

there are drive repair and data recovery services. I don't have one to recommend. if you are in a large city, you could look at yelp reviews... it will cost anywhere from dozens to hundreds of dollars, depending on the type of damage and drive.

I was afraid to hear it might be done. I'll try to take it to a local shop and see if it will show up.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.