Broken USB Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkRevenant, Apr 21, 2010.

1. DarkRevenant macrumors member

Kind of hard to explain, but a USB device was plugged into my MBP and ended up getting jammed in. I pulled the USB out fine, but the USB port seems to have stopped working. Is there a way I can repair this myself? I am very computer savvy and am not intimidated by taking some components of my macbook pro apart. Any information you may know is helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. glycon macrumors newbie

It may start working again if you restart the MBP. Sometimes it will shut one bus down if it is shorted out or overdrawn.

3. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

Sounds like it *could* be a bent pin/contact. (Emphasis on the 'could'. Without hearing more it's impossible to determine, only wild ass guessing.)

There's only four points that a USB port connects to the logic board, plus typically two points where the 'shell' of the port connects for grounding and structural support. I don't know if the ones Apple uses are Apple-specific parts or your typical AMP or Molex part. However, if you're shy about opening up your unit, I wouldn't even begin to recommend soldering on your baby.

Logic board replacement is probably a logical step if the port itself is damaged beyond repair. Might want to look into repair rates for the reputable shops or Apple techs.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm headed in with the same problem to Bay Street Emeryville, CA with an appointment on this coming Friday. Always plug my iPhone in the right-side USB port and today I noticed that it was inoperative and my iPhone was down to 30% after about 7 hours of calls and checking emails and internet searching. AC tried to walk me through resetting PRAM and a SAFE restart, but nothing worked. Hoping it's a quick fix; b/c I can't be without my MBP for any amount of time...:eek:

5. d4nn0 macrumors member

d4nn0

I have a similar issue, in that my (aging) MBP has a flakey USB port on the right side that's unsuitable for using an external drive to watch movies or anything similar.

As previous posters mentioned, it's a bit sketchy to try and solder a new USB port onto your Logic Board, and a replacement can run $600 and up for a new one.. If you find that the port is truly dead, I'd recommend just buying a USB hub to plug into the working port instead. Cheaper and gives you a few extra ports too.

-Danno

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You'd need to be skilled to solder on a new USB port, otherwise you need a new logic board.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thank gawd for AC; b/c I don't trust myself with a soldering iron...:p