Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewsjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
So my sister has a fully operational graphite iMac sitting in a box because her children ruined both usb ports by yanking the connecting cords out of the ports over and over. (they can't connect the keyboard and mouse anymore.) I've been told that it might be more expensive to have the ports repaired than the computer is actually worth. It's still a great little computer so I was wondering since both firewire ports are fine, could an firewire/usb combo be used to bring the machine back to life. Could she connect a firewire cable to the computer and then to the hub, then plug the keyboard into the usb input on the hub? Would that work. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Could she connect a firewire cable to the computer and then to the hub, then plug the keyboard into the usb input on the hub? Would that work. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Don't think so. The OS is looking at the USB ports for keyboard and mouse not the firewire ports.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
And give the kids a boot up the behind each. If I did something like that, I would have had a leather strap on the behind.

Very true. I'm only 14 and I once broke the USB ports on our Dell when I was 7, Plus I wasn't even allowed to use that computer ($3000 workstation), but I did after school when my parents weren't home. My Dad belted me hard for that (thought that I would never sit down again) and I was grounded for two weeks. Taught me a good lesson though:D. I would also recommend that your sister belt her kids for breaking that poor machine.

Don

ewsjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
thanks for the info. well, maybe it's time to put it out of its misery and make it an aquarium.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
You might want to search for a firewire to USB hub (rare thing Im sure)

For your keyboard and Mouse, try bluetooth!

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Good idea, an aquarium will be a good use of it. I think i've heard about people making beer servers out of them to, although that might have been a Power Mac G4.

Don

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
If it were me, I would use some flux + copper strand, de-solder the existing connectors from the logic board, and buy / salvage some news to solder back on.

But that's just me and i have a pretty good electronics background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.