Broken USB Repair Idea?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jds96d, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jds96d macrumors member

I have unresponsive USB drives now. I've tried all the usual stuff like repair permissions and such. Nothing works. The wireless mouse and wired keyboard are both not making a connection. I'm afraid one of the ports is fried. Before I take it in and spend probably lots of money do you think reinstalling OSX 10.5 will fix the USB problem? Thanks.

2. Dnix macrumors 6502

Can't hurt, but it probably won't do anything. Make a backup of your current install, so you can restore back if nothing happens.

I once thought my USB port was busted, all of a sudden it wouldn't detect my external drive. Then I discovered it was a faulty cord.

This sounds bad though, you have multiple devices failing...

3. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Yeah you are right about the faulty cord since one is wireless and the other isn't. I tried switching devices out in different ports and using one at a time in case it was a short. Nothing. Any idea on how expensive it would be?

4. Dnix macrumors 6502

This would be a "logic board" issue, I'm pretty sure. Those are typically bad news for your wallet. If you are out of warranty, it's probably gonna suck.

Do you have even one port that works? Maybe try buying a hub, or daisy-chain devices...

5. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

No I don't have any ports that work. What is weird is that my Apple remote won't respond either. I have previous issues of crashes with Finder and Safari at times beforehand. I think that was a plug-in/Flash issue. Any more thoughts? You've been a big help. I've heard logicboards are expensive and probably would just need to get a new Mac.

6. Dnix macrumors 6502

That's typically what people facing out-of-warranty main board repairs do...:D

Remember to buy Applecare, from Apple or ebay or wherever. It's for situations just like this!

7. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

The minidv out to the tv is the only port on the back that works. I don't know if that tells you more or not.

8. Dnix macrumors 6502

That the whole USB controller on your iMac is busted...but your graphics are fine? I dunno. ;)

9. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the computer runs great and feeds fine into the tv. I can even use my airmouse off of my iPhone to get around. USB and remote are just completely unresponsive. When I look it up in Disk Utility it says nothing is found. FireWire is just fine though.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have unresponsive USB drives now. I've tried all the usual stuff like repair permissions and such. Nothing works. The wireless mouse and wired keyboard are both not making a connection. I'm afraid one of the ports is fried. Before I take it in and spend probably lots of money do you think reinstalling OSX 10.5 will fix the USB problem?"

Here's a thought:

Do you have the original System Software DVD that came with the Mac, the one that is capable of booting it?

If so, try this:

 Disconnect ALL USB devices, EXCEPT your keyboard and mouse. (I'm assuming the mouse, although wireless, has a "transmitter" that plugs into a USB port?)
     Try booting from the System DVD

Does the Mac boot?

Once booted, do the mouse and keyboard work? Can you move the mouse pointer? Can you enter text from the keyboard?

If the answer is YES, this indicates that the USB port that your mouse and/or keyboard is plugged into is good. NOT a "hardware problem".

If your mouse and keyboard are working, you might try opening Disk Utility (while still booted from the DVD), and doing a Permissions Repair on the internal drive, and also doing a "Repair disk" routine.

Next, do this:

 RESTART and boot from the internal hard drive with just the mouse/keyboard connected.

Do the mouse/keyboard still work? If they DON'T, then perhaps there is something wrong with your System on the hard drive (since you verified that your port(s) is/are ok while booted from the DVD).

Other thoughts:
    - While booted up from the System DVD, you could attach your USB external drives one at a time, and see if they are readable and repairable by Disk Utility.
    WARNING WARNING WARNING
    You DO NOT want to re-initialize them!
    Just check them out, and repair them if necessary!

11. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

So I'm at the boot screen where it says "welcome". It asks me to choose to install additional apps or quit Installer and choose Startup Disk. On the same screen I do have Utilities option. Do I start permissions from this screen or let it load all the way to the desktop by asking it to continue app loading?

12. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

Btw mouse us working from "welcome screen" when booting from disk.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"So I'm at the boot screen where it says "welcome". It asks me to choose to install additional apps or quit Installer and choose Startup Disk. On the same screen I do have Utilities option. Do I start permissions from this screen or let it load all the way to the desktop by asking it to continue app loading?"

Pick the "Utilities" option and open Disk Utility.

You can repair permissions and do a "repair disk" from that app.

AGAIN - WARNING!
    You DO NOT want to erase or initialize the drive!
    So be careful!

But the fact that the mouse works when you boot from the System DVD indicates that the USB port (at least what the mouse is plugged into) is fine....