Broken vibrate switch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aloofman, Jan 15, 2010.

1. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Recently I dropped my iPhone 3G on the floor, which I'd done several times before with no consequences. But this time, the vibration switch (just above the volume control) on the side of the phone doesn't seem to work now. Even switched into Vibrate Mode, all sounds still come through loud and clear. The graphic will still appear on the screen indicating that it's in Vibrate Mode, but it isn't. I suspect that the switch itself is busted somehow. This is a problem because I don't know of a way to completely silence the phone without turning it off.

Anyone had something similar happen? Is this something the Genius Bar could help with?

Thanks in advance.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Doesn't sound like the switch. The switch only turns on vibrate mode (and the graphic shows it's working). Sounds like a bigger problem. :(

You may be able to adjust sounds by fooling with the volume settings. But that's not much of a solution. You need to visit a "Genius". Don't mention that it may have been dropped. :D

3. banderson6793 macrumors newbie

I had a problem last year with the vibrate switch after about one week with my phone. I would put the phone on vibrate and the icon would appear, but then it would go back to normal. I could sort of jiggle the switch and it would rapidly switch back and forth, so something was up just inside the switch.

Definitely take it to a Genius. I didn't drop my phone when this happened to me, so there's no real need to mention that you dropped yours.

4. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Will a genius do anything though? A dropped iPhone isn't covered by a warranty. If there's signs on the phone that it's been dropped then I doubt they will help you without charging.

Alternatively you could try a new top section ribbon assembly. Be warned though, this will void your warranty :D *for the greater good*

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

Depending on what the phone looks like, they may give you a new one. I had a phone where the vibrate switch came off due to a case I was putting on it. They said the issue was common and gave me another phone? In your case the switch didn't even break off the phone it sounds like so you might get lucky....

6. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I had the same problem

I have Applecare so I took it in and they gave me a new phone with no questions asked. It was broken for a while but my phone was JB so I had a toggle on SBSettings that allowed me to do the same thing as the switch. When I got back to a city where there is an Apple Store I took it in. Of course I had to restore to factory setting before taking it in but that wasn't too much of an issue.

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

My stupid vibrate switch on my 3GS is acting exactly how banderson6793 described his functioning: you wiggle the switch when it is in the vibrate position (sometimes, even so much as simply breathe on it), and it goes in and out of silent mode. This happened after about 5-6 months of ownership, in my case, and no abuse.

Although I'm confident Apple would replace my phone without blinking, I am loathe to get it replaced by Apple because when I first got my phone, I had to suffer through 2 crappy LCDs before I got a good one, and in addition to that, I not only currently have a 3GS that doesn't require a computer tether to jailbreak, but which I also have the SHSH blobs for a 3.0.1 downgrade for.

Other than the switch, my phone is in perfect cosmetic condition, thanks to it living in a BestSkinsEver since day 1. I'm waiting and hoping that I can eventually discover a way to fix the switch on my own, or find somebody who can fix it for me. In the meantime, I've been using a software toggle to turn silent/vibrate mode on and off (SBSettings toggle), which works alright.

On a side note, I've become increasingly frustrated with the quality of Apple hardware. Love the software, but the hardware quality control is "meh." If I eventually choose to get this phone replaced for this issue, it will have been my 7th phone. (1st 3G: defective dock connector port; 2nd 3G: defective accelerometer; 3rd 3G: mute switch falls off while toggling it (!); 1st 3GS: washed-out LCD; 2nd 3GS: washed out LCD; now 3rd 3GS: defective mute/silent switch) Also, a recent iPod Touch purchase ended up having a defective power/sleep/wake button (pressing it did nothing). I "consume" a lot of consumer electronics, and I have never, ever had this kind of poor luck before with any other make of hardware.

-- Nathan