Brokerage fees for OWC SSD to Canada?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scarred, Jun 13, 2012.

1. scarred macrumors 6502a

I was just about to order a new SSD for my 2011 macbook air, when I read the warning that there might be brokerage fees when shipping to Canada. Has anyone in Canada ordered the SSD from Macmall? Did you have to pay brokerage fees on top of everything?

2. ddonaghy macrumors newbie

OWC & Brokerage fees

I bought a 480GB SSD from OWC this past December. They shipped it via UPS and, much to my surprise, I paid NO brokerage fees. You will of course have to pay GST when it arrives unless OWC/MacMall charged that on your invoice.

I have yet to figure out, reliably, when brokerage fees are applied. After going to the UPS and FedEx web site I was only more confused. Because brokerage fees can be as high as 40% of the purchase value of the product I normally refuse to do business with any US company that won't ship via USPS (which has no brokerage fees).

I hope this helps, but I can't definitively say you won't be charged brokerage fees.

3. scarred thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered it and am hoping for the best. I did choose the USPS option (was the cheapest as well).

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I believe UPS ground is the bad one with really high brokerage fees. The faster UPS services have (I believe) the brokerage fees included in the shipping charge.

B&H Photo uses a Purolater service where you can see all the (reasonable) fees before you check out. So no unpleasant surprises. I wish more US merchants did that.

Greg