Brother All-in-one printer cannot Scan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleDApp, Aug 27, 2011.

1. AppleDApp, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I have a Brother MFC 5440-CN All-in-one printer and I can't seem to be able to scan documents from it. I deleted all the software and downloaded the latest firmware and installed that. Any ideas as to what I can do to be able to scan?

I need this ASAP because I want to go paperless for my textbooks

2. Victor Star macrumors member

I had problems with my HP 4135 also. The only way I was able to scan was from System Preferences - Print & Scan - Scan - Open Scanner.

Let us know if that helps.

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

when I'm in the Print & Scan menu in system preferences I do not see a scan option.

Attached Files:

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am sorry, but i am not familiar with this scanner. good luck with it, though!

5. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

it's an all in one printer did I miss something? When I press scan on my scanner it says connecting to PC then nothing happens. :mad:

6. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

When I installed my Brother printer and software, it installed an access point up near where the day/date is. It's called Brother Control Center and has a set of preferences and a bunch of different customizable ways to scan stuff. It works well and is wireless.

Don't know if that will help, but it did well for me.

7. AppleDApp, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Great thanks for the reply I didn't think of starting the scan from the Brother UI. I tried to scan a document and received Error CC028 "An unexpected error occurred. Please restart your computer, then try again. (CC028)"

I found these solutions I will report back tomorrow.

Edit: I removed the drivers and updated them. Started a scan and still got the same error message.

The Brother software is installed on my dad's MBP running Snow leopard Unfortunately it seems that the Brother software uses Rosetta. I won't be able to install the software on my MBP running Lion unless there has been a fix for that.

8. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Brother printers use CUPS drivers and a TWAIN plugin to enable scanning, and are up to date all the way through Lion, so there should be no issues regarding Rosetta or PPC compatibility.

Have you installed both? It doesn't appear so. Installing "firmware" is not the same thing.

The driver package also installs the Brother Control Center which allows configuration of the printer, faxing, as well as scanning.

Since it uses a TWAIN plugin, any application that uses that architecture can also perform scanning tasks, including Image Capture, or other popular apps such as GraphicConverter, or those from Adobe, amongst others.

Go to the Brother support site, solutions.brother.com, select the appropriate country, printer, OS, and software, install it, and there shouldn't be any issues, assuming the printer is connected and functional.

9. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

So i need to install the physical software and find the latest drivers?

10. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

The absolute simplest thing would be for you to download this, and install it.

It would also have the side benefit of informing Software Update to keep the drivers up to date.