Brother bought a dirty Verizon iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nedley09, Sep 24, 2014.

1. nedley09 macrumors newbie

Told me he bought it at a crazy discount but did not check the esn/Imei before doing so. Vzw said the buyer bought it under edge then canceled the account

I know it's unlocked, but if it's dirty, can I still bring it over to T-Mobile on my account?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I sure hope you can't!

What's the point of having a national list of blocked phones if someone can simply steal one and take it to another carrier for activation? :rolleyes:

From 2013: http://gizmodo.com/the-nationwide-stolen-smartphone-database-is-complete-1473076340

3. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's not stolen. Dude just did not pay the bill. I don't know if I should call him an idiot or feel bad for him.

4. Abandapart82 macrumors member

I don't think so. The best you can hope for is to sell it to somebody that takes them overseas. Try Craigslist. Not that I condone that sort of thing but it might be your only option in at least getting your money back.

5. gochi macrumors 6502

6. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Verizon considers it stolen even if your buddy paid cold hard cash for it. That's why it can't be activated.

7. irod87 macrumors regular

Verizon won't activate it but it should work for GSM.

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

It's stolen from Verizon if the guy who sold it to your brother signed a contract and ran off with the equipment without paying the bill.

This ^

9. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

That is another way to say it is now stolen.

If someone buys a car on a lease, sells it to me and stops paying the lease payment, guess who owns the car? Not me.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Not honoring his contract by avoiding his cell bill is in essence stealing the iPhone.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not 100% but I believe it will still work on tmobile. It wont work for verizon since the esn is blacklisted.
    Just stick a sim inside and check to be sure.

12. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm asking him for the imei now I hope he does not get screwed. Shoulda asked me to help for the purchase

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

This one I'm not sure about. It might work on T-Mobile.

14. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well got the imei and called tmobile. All clear on there end. Can be used on their network. I even checked bad imei phones on eBay and same thing, showed useable on tmobile

15. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

Don't get so comfy, the national database can sometimes take up to 3 months to be updated. A lot of people have been screwed well after the fact by it.

16. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Yes, but who's car get's repossessed when the bank figures out where it is? The one you bought that you don't own.

17. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I found a bad imei from a year ago on Verizon and tmobile said it was clear.

Was he stupid, yes. Is he super lucky? Hell yes

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, pretty sure that was the point he was already making.

19. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

The tmobile rep clarified a little more. The guy just did not pay. Not payment blacklist is not universal. If he reported it stolen, that's a whole different situation. Then it's a universal blacklist

20. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Could be. My reply was made three cocktails in. Shortly before my eyes rolled back in my head and I was in la-la land. Reading comprehension was probably not at it's peak.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Not lucky, just low character. But the world is full of those.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I don't know the brother, so I'm in not position to judge his character, but when people get unbelievable deals on brand new phones, it's naive at best, and intentional engagement in illegitimate business practices otherwise.

23. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

IMHO They are not naive, they know something is shady. Again IMHO, thats speaks to their character.

But hey, the OP opens himself (his brother right) up to these judgements by posting on a public forum. He is by default asking for peoples opinions.

24. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It's a Verizon iPhone, thus it is already unlocked; they don't have locked iPhones.