Brother bought a dirty Verizon iPhone 6

nedley09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Told me he bought it at a crazy discount but did not check the esn/Imei before doing so. Vzw said the buyer bought it under edge then canceled the account

I know it's unlocked, but if it's dirty, can I still bring it over to T-Mobile on my account?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Told me he bought it at a crazy discount but did not check the esn/imei before doing so. Vzw said the buyer bought it under edge then canceled the account

I know it's unlocked, but if it's dirty, can I still bring it over to T-Mobile on my account?
I sure hope you can't!

What's the point of having a national list of blocked phones if someone can simply steal one and take it to another carrier for activation? :rolleyes:

From 2013: http://gizmodo.com/the-nationwide-stolen-smartphone-database-is-complete-1473076340
Now, all the carriers have announced that the technology will allow them to block activation of LTE smartphones and other 3G devices

nedley09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Well it's not stolen. Dude just did not pay the bill. I don't know if I should call him an idiot or feel bad for him.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Told me he bought it at a crazy discount but did not check the esn/Imei before doing so. Vzw said the buyer bought it under edge then canceled the account

I don't think so. The best you can hope for is to sell it to somebody that takes them overseas. Try Craigslist. Not that I condone that sort of thing but it might be your only option in at least getting your money back.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Well it's not stolen. Dude just did not pay the bill. I don't know if I should call him an idiot or feel bad for him.
It's stolen from Verizon if the guy who sold it to your brother signed a contract and ran off with the equipment without paying the bill.

Verizon considers it stolen even if your buddy paid cold hard cash for it. That's why it can't be activated.
This ^

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
That is another way to say it is now stolen.

If someone buys a car on a lease, sells it to me and stops paying the lease payment, guess who owns the car? Not me.

nedley09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I'm asking him for the imei now I hope he does not get screwed. Shoulda asked me to help for the purchase

nedley09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Well got the imei and called tmobile. All clear on there end. Can be used on their network. I even checked bad imei phones on eBay and same thing, showed useable on tmobile

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Well got the imei and called tmobile. All clear on there end. Can be used on their network. I even checked bad imei phones on eBay and same thing, showed useable on tmobile
Don't get so comfy, the national database can sometimes take up to 3 months to be updated. A lot of people have been screwed well after the fact by it.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
That is another way to say it is now stolen.

If someone buys a car on a lease, sells it to me and stops paying the lease payment, guess who owns the car? Not me.
Yes, but who's car get's repossessed when the bank figures out where it is? The one you bought that you don't own.

nedley09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Well I found a bad imei from a year ago on Verizon and tmobile said it was clear.

Was he stupid, yes. Is he super lucky? Hell yes

nedley09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
The tmobile rep clarified a little more. The guy just did not pay. Not payment blacklist is not universal. If he reported it stolen, that's a whole different situation. Then it's a universal blacklist

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah, pretty sure that was the point he was already making.
Could be. My reply was made three cocktails in. Shortly before my eyes rolled back in my head and I was in la-la land. Reading comprehension was probably not at it's peak.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Not lucky, just low character. But the world is full of those.
I don't know the brother, so I'm in not position to judge his character, but when people get unbelievable deals on brand new phones, it's naive at best, and intentional engagement in illegitimate business practices otherwise.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I don't know the brother, so I'm in not position to judge his character, but when people get unbelievable deals on brand new phones, it's naive at best, and intentional engagement in illegitimate business practices otherwise.
IMHO They are not naive, they know something is shady. Again IMHO, thats speaks to their character.

But hey, the OP opens himself (his brother right) up to these judgements by posting on a public forum. He is by default asking for peoples opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.