Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodeoranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
London
Hey all,

So I am having a big problem, and I'm sure i'm not the only one.

After a bit of fiddling, I have managed to get my usb only printer/scanner/copier to print from our two macs wirelessly (10.4.11 iMac and 10.5.8) via a Time Capsule (in bridge mode) connected to our broadband router.

But, I cannot scan. When I go through brother's device selector, the "machine ip" address is just the IP address of time Capsule and not of the printer specifically and we have two printers connected via Time Capsule. And, when I scan for the printer in device selector, nothing shows up.

Whenever I try to scan, I get an error - I have installed all drivers, TWAIN plugins, etc etc....

I can print and not scan - I don't know what to do!

Help!!!

Thanks in advance...

Rhiannon

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The USB print server on the Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Express is a print server only. It supports multifunction printers, but in the limited sense that it will only allow printing. If you want to do scanning over wireless, you will either need to purchase a USB multifunction print server that connects to your network (either wired or wirelessly) or you will need a true WiFi multifunction printer.

Edimax makes great USB wired/wireless multifunction print servers that are also Mac compatible if you want to keep your existing printer. But be sure to purchase a product with "multifunction" in its name or you will have the same issues as you do with your Time Capsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.