Brother HL-2170W and 10.5.5. (wireless?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wotsapc, Nov 10, 2008.

1. wotsapc macrumors newbie

As anyone set up a brother 2170W printer to communicate with an iMac running 10.5.5. via Airport? Is this possible?

I have it running on USB now no probs (after a firmware update) however when I try to set it up for wireless I still get the 'printer offline' error.

I follow the Brother instructions and use a network cable etc and the mac finds the printer but when I disconnect I get the error.

If anyone has done this I would appreciate a few tips :)

Thanks
    p.s. I am trying to set it up directly i.e. imac(airport) to printer not via a wireless router. Is this possible?

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I don't think you can connect it directly. Try getting the cheapest wireless router you can find and connect your iMac with Ethernet. I have the same printer but use Ethernet for the printer. Use the CD and tell it the network info of the router you might buy (if you don't already have one). Make sure it connects, then try going into System Preferences and Printer and click "+". It should show up there in one of the tabs. That's what happened with Ethernet, except I didn't need Windows. I'm assuming it should be similar because Ethernet and Wi-Fi both give it a spot on your home network. I hope this helps!

3. rolyat macrumors newbie

brother hl2170w offllin

I fixed mine by resetting the timeout mode to manual and lengthing the time out.
    rolyat