Brother HL-2170w wireless printer - setup under OS X 10.6.3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zen, May 21, 2010.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Boy-howdy, do I need some help with this.

I've just got a new Brother HL-210w wireless printer, but the wireless setup has got me completely baffled. Has anybody set one of these up wirelessly? I'm following the directions in the book and using the CD, but I cannot get this printer to work.

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Do you have an existing wireless network in your home (or wherever you're using it)? I have the HL-2140, which is a non-networked version of this printer (although it's hooked up to my AirPort base station, so it's almost the same), but I'd guess that is the easiest way to do it.

If you don't have an existing network, you can probably set up an ad-hoc one between your Mac and the printer with your Mac as the "base."

What, in particular, is going wrong? Setting the SSID? Getting (or setting) an IP address? Everything seems to work but it won't print?

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Thanks for replying, but I actually fixed it after THREE HOURS - I had to set the encryption to AES from TKIP. I'd never heard of those settings before, clearly my Airport Extreme just sets them itself, I guess!

Plus those settings were hidden WAY deep in the Brother install app. Ho boy.

4. belle610 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much

I also spent almost three hours trying to set up the Brother HL-2170w to my existing wireless network. The solution you found (set the encryption to AES from TKIP) worked for me also. Thanks again.

5. absolutic macrumors regular

having problems too

I had not have problems until couple of months ago. My main comp is a iMac, and my two laptops are macbook and HP windows laptop. They were printing beautifully (all of them) wirelessly through this printer, but couple of months ago, my macbook and HP windows laptop just won't print, shows 'printer offline'. On the other hand, my iMac which is connected to Airport extreme, prints no problems. I can't figure how what the difference is, and why my Imac is printing fine, while the laptops show 'printer offline' The only difference is iMac is connected by ethernet to Airport extreme, and the laptops are not. Any ideas?