Brother Printer (HL-L234DW) brief questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dekema2, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I recently purchased a Brother Laser printer for $70 on Amazon and have a few questions, if anyone who has a similar printer can answer them please do:

1) There are negative reviews claiming the wireless functions are hard to set up, esp. with Yosemite (although they did upgrade their drivers for this printer). Are they?

2) Is the "deep sleep" function really an issue that should be considered a problem?

3) Is it generally acceptable to add a wireless printer to your dorm's wifi if you know the password (which we all have)?

2. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure I would do that. I'm guessing anyone on that same Wifi network would be able to print to your printer. I'm guessing you can set up some sort of ad hoc wireless connection to your printer though.

3. rocket9005 macrumors newbie

I have a Brother MFC laser printer for use at home, it too has wireless printing capability but I wired it too my network because it was more reliable and secure that way.

My son is a school and we set up a wireless printer in his dorm room. For the amount of time that he prints he just plugs in the USB cable when he wants to print, he found it easier too as there was too much wireless interference in the dorm.

4. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

A friend in my dorm did the same as well. I already have a USB cord en route and will likely just use that unless I'm across the hall or downstairs.

Couldn't do ad hoc but since nobody know the IP address (it's profile on my MBP was setup by IP), it could be almost as secure, right?

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

No. Anyone on the same subnet will see that printer if they search for a new printer to add. You can probably disable such features if you go through the built in web configuration page. And ad-hoc will be available anyway if you leave wireless enabled without connecting to a network.

If you are going to connect via USB then disable the wireless mode, as ad-hoc will still be available to anyone in range. And set the admin password. Worst case scenario would be, you leave wireless enabled even though you may not use it and someone gets into it and locks you out by changing the admin password.