Brother printer not working after 10.5.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by topher2889, Sep 16, 2008.

1. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

After I installed 10.5.5 my brother Hl-2170w will not print. The computer recognizes when it is connected via usb but when I try to print anything it says "printer offline". I tried it with my friend's macbook and it worked fine (she has 10.5.4) so it must be a problem with 10.5.5. It looks like a discussion thread just opened up on apple

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1713342&tstart=105

Anyone else having this issue with other printers or the same one?

2. LBTy macrumors newbie

Brother Printer Off-line

i have the same issue. i was banging my head trying to figure it out, but at least i'm not the only one with a bag of ice on my head and a printer that won't do it's job. does brother need to update the driver or is it a mac issue?

3. GraceLS macrumors newbie

Same problem!

I've been struggling with this for 2 days. I didn't think it was 10.5.5 so my searches came up with nothing. Now I have a dead printer on my hands. I am not happy! :(

4. topher2889 thread starter macrumors regular

topher2889

I jimmy rigged mine to work by setting it up wirelessly rather than with the USB. Now it prints just fine. Shouldn't of had to do this but it works until a fix comes along if you need to print.

5. draftech macrumors newbie

Also having problems here, with a Brother HL-2070N. Not using USB, but connected to my network via ethernet. I get no response from the printer at all. Fortunately I have anotehr printer I can use in a pinch, but I would really like to see this fixed (Apple, Brother, or whoever.....)

:(

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Mine's working fine via wireless network. Wish I could help you.

Completely remove drivers and printers, then turn everything off. Turn on printer, plug in to computer/router., turn on computer, attempt installation.

That's worked for me in the past.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I have a 2070N working fine with the newer v1.22 driver, running via ethernet

Tried a reset...

http://192.168.x.x/printer/post/panel.html

logged into reset & test, user - admin & password - access

Still worked.

---

At worst, you can always log into the printer and select HP Laserjet emulation.

9. tcmo macrumors newbie

Brother 2040 works fine with 10.5.5

Our Brother 2040 printer works fine with 10.5.5 on a 20" iMac via USB.

10. pimoser macrumors newbie

Brother 2150N with Mac 10.5.5

I've go the same problem with a Brother 2150N. Won't work after installing OS 10.5.5.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks P

11. sactogolf macrumors newbie

The Solution to 10.5.5 and Brother HL-2170W

WHo knows what Apple did with 10.5.5 and why things didn't print for me and all I got was "Printer Offline". In contacting Brother, they easily provided me (which Apple Care could not), a PDF document with the instruction for new firmware which now allows me to print. Here is the link to the document. Good luck, should take less than 15 minutes.

From Brother: Description of Problem 100000015715
    I recently upgraded to Macintosh OS X 10.5.5. Now I cannot print, the USB printer is paused or offline. (off-line, off line)

Description of Solution 200000020227
    Brother has developed a Firmware Update that resolves this issue.

Please refer to the following link for steps in updating the printer's firmware.
    http://www.brother-usa.com/faqs/static/HL2170W_Mac_10.5.5_Issue.pdf

12. syrus111 macrumors newbie

same issues with 10.7.2 but this worked... after hours!!!!!

This worked for me.
    Go to system preferences ... print and fax... go to the printer name and highlight it
    go the the minus sign( below) ( the printer name should no longer show)
    Go to the + sign then click on Default .. the printer name should show up... highlight it and Add