Brother printer update for 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kempton, Jan 15, 2013.

1. kempton macrumors newbie

Hi,

I cannot install my Brother printer, and I can't install the Brother printer 2.10 update. The message says the volume does not meet the requirements for the update, but I'm running 10.6.8 (on a Mac Mini) and the requirement is 10.6.1.

The printer goes offline often, but I can always reinstall and get it going again. It's old, an HL-1440 from 2002, maybe, but it works well and I really like it. When it went offline many, many hours ago, I removed the printer, downloaded the software from the Brother site, and tried to reinstall the printer. It does not appear in the queue. I've tried a patch that always worked before, but this time it did not.

What requirements could the drive fail to meet? What step should I take next? Do I need to download or delete other driver files? This is driving me insane.

Thanks very much.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Have you tried contacting Brother support? Printer manufacturers are usually pretty good about providing support. I just got a Brother update yesterday (on 10.8.2) but it came from Apple. I suspect that on your OS, you will need to get your updates from Brother.

I stopped using HP printers because I was so appalled at the low quality of their drivers. I haven't experienced any but minor problems with any of our 4 Brother printers. Ours are all laser printers of some sort. One is color, two are low end B&W printers, and one is an older B&W all in one printer. Maybe twice a year I lose connectivity to one of them but a log out or reboot on the affected Mac solves the issue. One hint: I set them up with static ip addresses and not DHCP. I'm not a big fan of DHCP for things like servers and printers. IMHO, dynamic IPs are for clients not servers as Bonjour can sometimes be a bit sluggish when things "move" on the network.