Brother spilt over MBP, but ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dwalls90, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Luckily I was there to help him as it happened. I quickly turned it off, turned it upside down and gently shook it (no spinning HD) to help the liquid pour it (it did). I then rest it upside down, screen open hanging off the edge, with the body of the mac on a towel on a bed (keep letting it drain. Quickly I removed the underside to examine the damage ... but too my surprise I saw no liquid whatsoever.

I have a feeling he may have lucked out, so I powered it on with the battery out just for a minute to see what worked/what didn't. Everything works, trackpad, keyboard, all hardware checks in fine. So is it necessary I keep it off?

2. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

YES I would say 24 hours minimum, maybe 48.
    In fact, you shouldn't have started it up yet at all.

3. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Actually, they say not to turn your MacBook Pro on at all after an accident like that happens, even if it's only for a few seconds. You should always wait at least 24 hours to turn it back on.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

This. You should not have turned it on at all, you have risked shorting out pretty much everything in the computer by doing so.

Stick it in a bag of rice for a day or two, rice absorbs moisture like nobody's business. You may have lucked out.

5. Amerabian macrumors regular

Keep the screen open, the battery out, and put it in a dry area with the fan pointed to it.

Good luck

6. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This makes no sense to me ... and goes against everything I've been told ... but the computer is functioning fine :confused:

I think the fact I turned it off immediately, drained it, and then removed the battery and searched for liquid, helped a lot. I didn't see that any of the liquid had reached the internals, and after all, it wasn't THAT much (not a submersion, as I tend to read about a lot on these forums). I'll still keep it off and toss it in a rice bag but I think it's fine.

7. rainking macrumors regular

I don't know why this is so hard for people to follow.

----------

You may still have water trapped somewhere and can leak out and fry your logic board. Keep it turned off and don't turn it on until at lease 48 hours. Put it in a bag of rice to help pull all moisture. You're not going to see every place water can get to. Either way, your call.

8. alan111 macrumors regular

9. shelhed217 macrumors member

This happened to a friend with a glass of water, he immediately dumped it out, checked the battery, didn't see any internal water. He turned it back on and after about an hour it cut off and wouldn't come back on. He was told by a genius there was probably water stuck around the keys that dripped into the computer, apparently there is a dip there or something that can hold small amounts. He ended up have to do a logic board replacement.
    Good luck

10. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

I made the mistake of turning on an ipod too soon after it getting wet. It takes a little while for enough signal to travel through the liquid for it to short out. and it may only short one or two circuits at first but then it just keeps going and going.

11. lc25 macrumors 6502

48hrs in rice somewhere dry and warm then turn it on

12. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Well it works perfectly!

However, the backlit keyboard is slightly uneven in lighting than it was before it seems. What's odd, is that all LED's seem to be functioning (It think?), so I don't think there was any damage, but there is clearly some sort of issue I think?

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

13. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Rice works like magic. When washing my car once, I hadn't realised I left the window opened slightly, and water got over my dash. I poured some rice over it and let it soak it up for a couple hours. I didn't even wipe it off, the liquid just went. Next day I brought it back to the dealer and they opened up and checked. No liquid whatsoever.

I presume hte same would be mostly true for Macs although I'd probably jump off a bridge if I spilled liquid on my Mac.. (or throw my Mac over instead)

14. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Any thoughts?

15. JohnBossu macrumors member

this is what I'm thinking.