Brother stepped on macbook please help :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rupertacdc, Jan 29, 2011.

1. rupertacdc macrumors newbie

So my brother who weighs 10 stone has stepped directly on the top of my macbook pro (the old all silver one) whilst it was closed and now it appears ever so slightly bent. When I turn it on, everything sounds right but the screen is completely black. also, if i pick it up and tip it around you can hear the fan hitting the edge. Can I save it? :( :( :( :(:(:(:(:(:(

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Not without some serious work
    Do you have an Apple Store nearby?

3. rupertacdc thread starter macrumors newbie

4. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

It sounds like it might be beyond economical repair, especially if the entire display needs replacing. As MacDawg intimates, take it to an Apple store for a diagnosis, or at least a post-mortem.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Do you have any pics?

Hard to diagnose from over the 'net, but you likely need a whole new display and case at the least. You might be able to get the parts off eBay or CraigsList, but may not be worth the trouble and cost.

Sounds like you will probably be able to salvage the HDD, so your data shouldn't be lost at least

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

It seems your Mac may not have survived. Will your brother?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Turn it over and have him walk over it again.

8. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

Or use the opposite from the one he walked on, and smack him in the face with it.
    If he really weighs in at 10 stones, you just might get his attention long enough to ask him to replace it for you at his cost.
    Smack! "Hey! "You walked right on my laptop!"
    "Duh... sorry, didn't notice that!"

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Damn I mean I use my MBP on the floor but if I get up and walk away MacBook goes on elevated place where it can't be sat on, stepped on, bumped off a table. I've always been like this, you learn quickly when kicking a class of milk over goes to stepping on a gameboy...:mad:

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

+1 - I keep all my laptops that I care about (Read everything but my Pentium /// 500 COMPAQ that doesnt do anything anymore) out of harms way unless im lying on the floor - and then I always move it - you never know what some lump will decide looks nice to step on :(

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

13. CopperX macrumors member

On the bright side, you can still use it as a perfectly good desktop computer if you attach an external monitor. Don't toss it in the trash just yet.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If your MBP is a LED backlit model, the screen will probably still function and the problem may not be as bad as you think. Unlike earlier screens, many LEDs are in displays and they are damned near indestructible. LED flashlights are made by companies that drop them out of a plane at 10,000 feet and they still work. Furthermore, the design of the MBP works in your favor as its tougher than most systems. Cosmetically, you are screwed, but if your screen is LED backlit, I would look into repairing it.

15. nonameowns macrumors regular

protip:

don't put expensive technologies on the ground!

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If you were to murder him and sell his organs on the black market, I feel you could raise enough for a shiny new MacBook. ;)

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it is not your fault you left it where your brother could step on it ... blame your parents for having him :cool:

18. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Replace broken part(s) or use it as a desktop via external monitor.

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Agreed. I would go with a maxed out 17inch. Sure the parents might wonder where there other son went and why he was replaced with a brand new computer but it does over more use no?:D:D:apple:

That most just made me think of an entire concrete floor covered in brand new opened apple products with a blind man about to cross over...I'm scarred.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's awful, simply awful.