Brother wireless printer problems

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thekb, Oct 12, 2013.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

Brother 2170W.

I've tried setting up through USB connected directly to the printer, and connecting via ethernet directly to the router (Airport Extreme). I get it set up and it seems to be working, but then it won't work the next day. It has a static IP address and when I connect to the settings page on my browser, I can access it and print a test page. But when I print an actual job it times out and says printer offline.

I know the printer in online and connected to the network, right? I couldn't print a test page remotely from my MBP unless that was functioning. Why won't it print my other jobs?

2. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

As additional information, I have an HP inkjet printer that worked flawlessly through my wifi network from the very start. I've researched the Brother and people say it is hard to set up. What experiences have other people had with HP laser printers? Are they basically plug and play too? This Brother printer is wearing me out!

Thanks

3. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

If you want it to work over wireless, wait for a response from someone who knows more than I do about optimizing a compromised connection.

If you want it to just work, plug it into your computer.