Brother wireless printer setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flalaw, Jul 18, 2011.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

I've got a brother HL-2270DW. I set it up to work w/ my existing wireless network in a flash using the included setup CD. I've got a new router now, and I can't figure out how to change the settings so it'll work w/ my new router.

I was planning on just resetting the printer to the default settings and running the setup program from the original CD, but I can't find the CD. I've checked on the website and they have the drivers and an admin utility, but there's no download for the setup program that's on the CD.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. flalaw, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

Solution found..sort of

In case anyone searching stumbles across this post, I ended up figuring it out. Apparently they don't have the tools that you find on the install CD available for the mac. However, they do have them available for windows. So, one option is to reset the printer, plug it into a windows machine, and then run the install utility and set up the printer again. Or another, slightly more involved solution which I was told by email tech support would work is to reset the printer, plug it into the wireless router, hit go 3x to get a test page w/ the printer ip address, enter the ip address into a web browser, and then change network settings from there.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just to add a little bit here.... I have set up a bunch of wireless printers on networks and the easiest way usually is to figure out the IP and go to the admin page in your browser.

4. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way to log into the admin page when the printer is no longer in range of the original network? Once I got the new wireless router my printer showed its IP as 0.0.0.0. I totally agree. It would be so much easier to just switch up the settings using the admin page.

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

No, it needs to be able to connect to the network it was set up for.... I realize this may not have been an option in your case but what I always do when I need to make a change to the structure of my network is log in to my printer before taking it down, get it set up with the new info and then worry about everything else. When I get the new network up and running my printer auto joins and is ready to go.

Alternatively if you were to set up your new router exactly like your old router your printer may very well connect just fine and keep on going.