Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quondam2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2021
First time poster, with a possible project computer:

About 5 years ago, the 27" iMac (late 2009) that we had given to my son for playing games failed hard on startup, with graphics glitches that very much resembled the GPU failures that plagued this iMac model. This was the second graphics card in this machine -- we brought this iMac in for the Apple graphics card replacement program, when the first card failed just under the deadline. The second time around, we didn't want to pay the prices for a replacement graphics card at the time, so I set put it in storage and forgot about it.

Fast forward to now, when I pulled it out of storage, with plans to boot into safe mode, clone the drive and dispose of the thing. I noticed that the graphics glitches were different this time, though they still made the machine unusable. So after cloning the drive, I had the idea of doing a clean installation of Catalina, just to see what would happen. During the re-install, the iMac did an unexpected firmware update and, to my surprise, the computer started up with a clean desktop and no graphics issues at all!

It was still running hot and the fans were constantly running, so I opened the iMac up for cleaning and found the probable culprit: The machine was packed with dust, much of it on the graphics card itself. The fans were more than half-clogged. After much cleaning with compressed air and clouds of dust, it's now running at a more reasonable temp, with all sensors showing temps in the 40-50° C range in normal use (and the PSU is highest at 55-56° C).

So my plans have changed. I'm thinking of making this 2009 iMac into a project machine, for email and media-playing. (I'm typing this message on it now!) Here's the specs:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)
2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

The first thing that need to be improved is the memory, even another 8 GB would improve its performance. The optical drive also isn't working -- it just ejects a disk after trying to read it for a minute. The trick of cleaning the drive lens with a eyeglasses cleaning cloth wrapped around a credit card didn't work. I'm opened these iMacs before, so I could replace the optical drive with an SATA III SSD and move the system files there for a performance boost.

But what should I do after that? I have mid-level technical skill for repairs -- I've successfully done computer tear-downs and rebuilds before, but only on more upgrade-friendly computers, and not in the last decade. Should I consider disassembling the iMac and replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU cards? Is any other maintenance needed?

I'm not too interested in making this into a maxed-out performance spec machine. I'm mostly interested in keeping it working as a media machine for the next few years, on something of a budget. Should I consider CPU and/or GPU upgrades for it too, and how technical/expensive would that be?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Well you won't be able to upgrade to Catalina and I am not sure fixing the optical drive is worth the trouble. More RAM is always good and maybe you should look at installing an SSD.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I think you’ll also find that the 2009 iMac has SATA II ports

I think the 2009 can run Catalina even though not officially supported using a guide on macrumors

volkwagen1300

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Maryland, USA
I picked up a 2009 21.5" in January and cloned+replaced the HD with a 250GB SSD from OWC. mdgm is correct, this computer has SATA II so make sure you get the right SSD. If you're not familiar with what hardware your iMac will support, OWC recommends which SSD to use. I'm happy with the performance upgrade an SSD swap gives but the memory I bought from them didn't work.

I use the iMac for a basement workshop computer - Zoom meetings w/ friends, Facebook video chat, music player, YouTube video player when I'm working on a project, and for playing backing tracks to practice guitar, email etc. It works very well for this purpose. Unless you really want to practice computer repair skills, I would say just swap in the SSD and maybe add memory. Or upgrade to Catalina as well, but IMO other hardware upgrades will likely provide diminishing returns at this point.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
First time poster, with a possible project computer:

About 5 years ago, the 27" iMac (late 2009) that we had given to my son for playing games failed hard on startup, with graphics glitches that very much resembled the GPU failures that plagued this iMac model. This was the second graphics card in this machine -- we brought this iMac in for the Apple graphics card replacement program, when the first card failed just under the deadline. The second time around, we didn't want to pay the prices for a replacement graphics card at the time, so I set put it in storage and forgot about it.

Fast forward to now, when I pulled it out of storage, with plans to boot into safe mode, clone the drive and dispose of the thing. I noticed that the graphics glitches were different this time, though they still made the machine unusable. So after cloning the drive, I had the idea of doing a clean installation of Catalina, just to see what would happen. During the re-install, the iMac did an unexpected firmware update and, to my surprise, the computer started up with a clean desktop and no graphics issues at all!

It was still running hot and the fans were constantly running, so I opened the iMac up for cleaning and found the probable culprit: The machine was packed with dust, much of it on the graphics card itself. The fans were more than half-clogged. After much cleaning with compressed air and clouds of dust, it's now running at a more reasonable temp, with all sensors showing temps in the 40-50° C range in normal use (and the PSU is highest at 55-56° C).

So my plans have changed. I'm thinking of making this 2009 iMac into a project machine, for email and media-playing. (I'm typing this message on it now!) Here's the specs:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)
2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

The first thing that need to be improved is the memory, even another 8 GB would improve its performance. The optical drive also isn't working -- it just ejects a disk after trying to read it for a minute. The trick of cleaning the drive lens with a eyeglasses cleaning cloth wrapped around a credit card didn't work. I'm opened these iMacs before, so I could replace the optical drive with an SATA III SSD and move the system files there for a performance boost.

But what should I do after that? I have mid-level technical skill for repairs -- I've successfully done computer tear-downs and rebuilds before, but only on more upgrade-friendly computers, and not in the last decade. Should I consider disassembling the iMac and replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU cards? Is any other maintenance needed?

I'm not too interested in making this into a maxed-out performance spec machine. I'm mostly interested in keeping it working as a media machine for the next few years, on something of a budget. Should I consider CPU and/or GPU upgrades for it too, and how technical/expensive would that be?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Exactly the same machine is being used daily in my house for my wife and kids. Just installed SSD and 8GB of RAM (4x2GB).
It' a little hot as the HD4850 has to drive a 2k LCD, but apart from that, it does everything else: Driving a 1080p TV for Youtube video, while browsing about 10 tabs of Chrome, with several communication aps running (Zalo, Messenger.) A real work horse.
There are little gain to upgrade it, consider the time, labour and cost for part.
Installing Big Sur is not an issue, soon. Graphic acceleration for HD4850 is being developed by enthusiasts. Right now it still usable on Big Sur, graphic card is not an issue.
Here are the issues:
Can't let Chrome or any apps access the Camera and microphone (worked find in High Sierra)
Bluetooth doen't work (can't detect and connect to other devices) => No Airdrop or other cool feature of Big Sur.

Quondam2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2021
Thanks for the advice, all.

I've been doing some reading and I've worked up a plan for how to upgrade the iMac. First, I'll add some budget memory, probably 8GB -- or maybe 16GB, as it's fairly cheap right now.

Then I'll replace the broken Superdrive with an SSD -- the Superdrive itself is SATA I, but the connector is definitely SATA II. I'm looking at getting a Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD -- I understand that Samsung drives can recognize the connection and connect at SATA II speeds, instead of reverting to SATA I by default. That way, I can pull & re-use the drive when I dispose of the iMac later.

I'll pick up a caddy rated to fit in the iMac's disk drive bay, though I can't quite see why I should spend a bit more for a caddy that looks exactly like other cheaper ones out there. (Not going to skip getting it though - I don't trust just taping the drive in place.)

I also intend to leave the internal HD connected as a storage drive. I'm a bit concerned that it would be eating power and generating unnecessary heat, so I'm looking into whether the internal drive can be put to sleep when inactive to save energy, or maybe unmounted & mounted again through scripting. If worst comes to worst, I can simply unplug the SATA and power cables from the drive and leave it mounted in place, just for the temperature sensor.

Lastly I was looking at replacing the motherboard battery, but considering that it's mounted on the backside of the motherboard, I think I'll wait until that major surgery is absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thanks for the advice, all.

I also intend to leave the internal HD connected as a storage drive. I'm a bit concerned that it would be eating power and generating unnecessary heat, so I'm looking into whether the internal drive can be put to sleep when inactive to save energy, or maybe unmounted & mounted again through scripting. If worst comes to worst, I can simply unplug the SATA and power cables from the drive and leave it mounted in place, just for the temperature sensor.
The first thing I did when opening the iMac was removing the HDD. It's ten years old already, and has only 1TB.
As I already have a 13TB home NAS up and running, I only install a new 500GB SSD, with High Sierra and that's it.
I did use an 3.5" to 2.5" adapter (which is only a thin slice of iron pressed into shape, cost me 2$) to fix the SSD to the stock HDD's place.
I used Mac Fan Control to control all 3 fans. The machine is very quiet, though a little hot.

Reactions: Quondam2009

jonnymorris

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
North East, UK
I have the 27" iMac Late 2009 i5 Quad (currently sitting in storage for the same reason - GPU failure, and I don't fancy paying big money for a replacement GPU that's probably just been baked anyway).

Before the GPU went gaga I had the machine upgraded with 16GB RAM and did the SSD swap in the optical drive bay with an adaptor (they are cheap - any should fit I think, they're the same ones used in PC laptop optical bays), keeping the original 1TB HDD as storage. I found that if I set the internal HDD to sleep when not in use then the system would frequently pause while the HDD woke up which negated many of the speed benefits of the SSD, it also took a long time for the machine to wake from sleep because of the same thing (I say long time, far longer than if it was just running on an SSD, I have my 2011 MacBook Pro running solely from SSD and it's very snappy to wake from sleep). Currently the iMac is back in it's original state with the original HDD and optical drive back in place, formatted and a fresh install of the original latest officially supported MacOS on it (still with 16GB RAM though); I still want to revive it to use but perhaps not right at the moment as I don't have space to use it.

My advice would be to remove the internal HDD and install it as an external USB or (probably preferably, with this iMac model) firewire drive. Definitely upgrade the RAM to 16GB if you can find the correct compatible DIMMs at a decent price.

Reactions: Quondam2009

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
If you have time and money, you can do lots of stuff with this machine. RAM, CPU, GPU, SSD(two, even in raid 0) can be upgraded. Also the Airport card too, to support watch unlock, continuity, airdrop etc...

If you just need it for everyday use, i would install an SSD and upgrade the RAM to at least 8GB. Go with High Sierra, it just lost security updates a few months ago, so its still good for a few years. It is perfectly capable for browsing the internet, watch youtube, netflix etc...

And yes, its only Sata II, but even with this, a cheap SSD will do wonders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.