Brown box: new or refurbished

Discussion in 'iPad' started by scorpionfalcon, Aug 24, 2011.

1. scorpionfalcon macrumors newbie

I have seen several posts where people wonder if the brown box iPads are refurbished or not. Last week, Apple did not have any iPad 2 replacements in stock, so they had to order one for me. In a couple days, it came in, and it was in a brown box. However, the serial number indicates it was week 29 (July) of production. Isn't this too recent to have been a refurbished unit? I think it's somewhat safe to assume this is a brand new unit.

2. dreams macrumors newbie

I believe it should be the refurbished one inside the brown box. Strangely some people have noted that the refurbished iPad's serial number starts with a X

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I bought mine retail store... purdy white box.

You ordered yours, the brown box is typical shipping affair and will be more sturdy.

Either box is going in trash *shrug*

4. blarivee macrumors 6502

I think someone else mentioned on other posts that brown boxes are reconditioned products where they recycle the logic board and give the product new case, battery and display. Personally, I think it's not brand new (as in you're the first customer to own it). The reason I say that is because when I order from Apple online, I would get the production week corresponding to the week the product is shipped.

5. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i think the production date is the same as when u buy the refurbished maybe a little earlier

6. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

It's refurbished, tells you that the product has been exchanged with a new body and battery, so it's good as new. Except that it HAS been passed on from somebody else.