brown smudge on camera - anyone defeated it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peterwalsh, Oct 31, 2009.

1. peterwalsh macrumors newbie

My iphone camera now has a permanent brown smudge near centre of the image. Stays there when looking at photo and downloading. Tried resetting, no good. Anyone seen this and know how to shift it? Iphone now more than a year old. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Badfoot macrumors 6502

3. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Only after a dodgy curry

5. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Have you tried cleaning the lens? Good old fashioned crap needs a cloth not a restart :)

6. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not the outside surface of the lens.

It did cross my mind to wipe it - and no Badfoot, not with my moon-shaped derriere.

I suspect a piece of dust is inside the lens casing.

Scatology aside - does anybody know if I can fix it?

7. 226896 Guest

Take it to an Apple store, they'll sort it out.

8. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Stop pointing the camera at your chest.

...or put a shirt on.

and get a tan.

9. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

No they won't.

Got down to the Southampton store this morning, in that pyramid of retail poo shopping mall, West Quay. Sixty miles of pounding rain and a river of cars, nothing but hassle.

The Genius said they don't fix the camera and flatly refused to exchange the phone. Only thing I could do was pay £139 for a replacement.

I said no and fell into retreat.

Two things rankle. I reckon the camera costs three or four quid and I don't see why they can't fix it. Yes or no to the whole culture of encouraging sustainability, renewal and husbandry of natural resources, there's no reason why can't fix it other than grubby buck-making. Seems that they've set the fix fee for everything at £139, thinking iphone owners won't whine too much about paying that for an assortment of general repairs. I think that's cheeky.

Second rankle is why are they putting low quality components in their devices? This phone is itself a refurb replacement for cracked case of original, less than nine months old. And I've mentioned the camera failing, but the truth is the case is worse than the last one, covered in fissures and splits. Junk.

They won't fix stuff and they're not using decent materials in the first place. It's a great machine, but let down by the manufacturing compromises they're making.

Does anyone work on iphone repairs in the UK? Is it impossible to get into the camera enclosure?

10. Badfoot macrumors 6502

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The photograph I indicates and is typical of a piece of dust on the camera sensor. This is a common problem with digita SLR cameras with detachable lenses. As you say the back of your iPhone is cracked, it is apparent that dust has entered the case.

I assume the phone is out of warranty (Apple would have replaced it if was still under warranty)

This being the case, you have two alternatves. To either open up the phone and carefully remove the spec of dust or buy a replacement.

It's also a good idea to look after the phone to avoid further damage to it.

12. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

John T, looking after the phone doesn't stop the case cracking. Not in my experience anyway. It's been in a felt cover and suffered no knocks since receipt. So no need for the condescending, inane and extraneous parting shot in your last missive.

As stated above, the phone is out of warranty. But there is an assumed expectation of service from purchased goods in UK law and though it might be a grey area I don't think it's asking too much of apple to service my phone or replace it gratis, given that parts of it have broken before I expected them to.

Do you expect apple to be excellent, or useless?

Yes, it's probably a speck of dust on the sensor. Has anybody tried any of the UK repair companies to change a camera? And if the camera only costs a few quid, and doesn't require soldering, why don't apple replace them?

Has anybody even taken the case off?

13. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Well that's the sort of responses you will get when you shove your iPhone up your ass.

15. rickcain macrumors newbie

Smudge Fix

1) Take some isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.
    2) dip the q-tip in the alcohol, and swirl it on the lens briskly with some effort.
    3) Keep doing it until the bluish material on the lens is gone, it will take a few tries.

I got rid of my iphone 'fuzzypix' this way. There is some sort of lens coating on there that causes problems after awhile.

16. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Peter

A camera change isn't mega difficult but you need to know what you are doing i.e. have some experience if possible. I have PM'd you.

Spencer

17. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I am adding nothing to this thread.. except my laughter! Justin.. wow..
    dude.. HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH NICE.

Flawless victory.:D

18. peterwalsh thread starter macrumors newbie

A happy ending, a smidge of cheer in the grip of a grisly November.

Wrote to apple, they agreed to replace the phone, gratis. Into the store over the weekend and home with a new one.

Hats off to apple. I'll keep buying the things they make.

And a salute to the last embers of the epistolary art...

19. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Well done Peter - that is a surprisingly good result. Hats off to you.

20. ElWaster macrumors newbie

I have something similar with my iphone4 - I got it 6 days ago and I see a smudge like a semi circle.

going to take it back to vodafone today and tell them.