Browse website developed in BootCamp via OSX/Safari

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by covertsurfer, May 6, 2011.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

If I develop a website in BootCamp under something like http://localhost:3458 can I browse that web site from within OS X?

I was thinking maybe using Parallels/Virtual Box to point to the BootCamp partition and get it running and then from within Safari somehow point to that virtual machine's localhost.

This would be good so websites could be developed in Windows/Bootcamp and then viewed from OS X to see if they render ok.

Would be also good to run up another virtual machine to look at the virtual machine with the web server on it eg/a LINUX VM looking at the WINDOWS VM to see how the website looks in Firefox etc

Can any of this be done?

2. harpster macrumors regular

Just wondering why you want to develop web sites this way? Great web tools are available for the Mac so why not just do your development on the Mac side and check/ verify on the Windows side? If it's a software issue where the programs you want to use are Windows based than personally I'd work off a PC directly. If your really serious about web development it's not a bad idea to have a Mac and a PC to do all your development and testing.

Even though I have bootcamp and Parallels installed and working I prefer to develop web sites on my Mac in OSX and use a PC for browser verification. Parallels is OK generally but I don't trust it completely and there lots of issues with it that can waste time so in my case a separate PC was a better overall solution.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use MAMP locally, then run VirtualBox to check the site from other OS. You just point to the IP of your machine.

If all of your pages are static I suppose you could view them from Bootcamp using Parallels, which I hear can make use of the Bootcamp partition.

4. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Is it runs on ASP.net, then there is more going on than just accessing the files from the Boot Camp partition. You will need to run IIS, which runs the ASP code and spits out the (X)HTML, etc.

I think that the suggestion from harpster to run the Windows part on a dedicated Windows box is the best option.

Good luck!

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can run bootcamp drive (and your asp code) in vmware or parallels.