Browser compatibility

Mark_R_5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
This is something of a cheeky request, but I'm trying to make my website as cross-platform compatible as possible, and a Mac user has emailed me saying she can't view my site correctly.

Could those of you on Macs point your browsers (no matter what they may be) at http://www.mark-reynolds.co.uk and let me know if you can view it correctly or not? At which point, a quick bit of info about your system and browser would be appreciated.

I realise these forums aren't quite intended for Mac users to perform public services, but I hope to appeal to your better, more nicely designed, natures ;)

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Mark_R_5 said:
This is something of a cheeky request, but I'm trying to make my website as cross-platform compatible as possible, and a Mac user has emailed me saying she can't view my site correctly.

Could those of you on Macs point your browsers (no matter what they may be) at http://www.mark-reynolds.co.uk and let me know if you can view it correctly or not? At which point, a quick bit of info about your system and browser would be appreciated.

I realise these forums aren't quite intended for Mac users to perform public services, but I hope to appeal to your better, more nicely designed, natures ;)
It works fine with the Safari browser on the OS Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther. Most likely the user that emailed you is using Mac OS 9. Mac OS 9 is so terrible that it causes all of its users problems. At least Mac OS X is far ahead of Windows. The compatibility issue you were confronted with probably won't affect many users. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Probably less than 1% of the world is still using Mac OS 9.

Mark_R_5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
It was being used on a corporate machine, which suggests they'd a fairly updated MAC OS, although this wasn't explicitly stated.

Thanks for checking it out for me, more feedback is welcome.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
I just tried each of the main links on your web page in Internet Explorer and it seemed to work fine with that browser too.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mark_R_5 said:

Your site looks OK in Gecko-based browsers and IE, both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. However, you seem to be trapping certain browsers. Your site looks very different in Netscape Communicator 4.8. It sports a completely different design. In iCab, it looks awful. In Opera, it looks like it does in Netscape 4.8. Safari's rendering is the same as the Gecko-based browsers.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Mark_R_5 said:
It was being used on a corporate machine, which suggests they'd a fairly updated MAC OS, although this wasn't explicitly stated.
Not necessarily. A lot of corporations are still on Mac OS 9, for a variety of reasons.

Works fine in Firefox/Panther.

Good luck with your campaign!