Browser Compatibility

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Rob587, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

GolfSolid.com

It looks exactly how I want it on the latest versions of safari and firefox on my mac, but ive seen it on an older IE and it looks awful. Im assuming it has other browser compatibility issues as well.

What is the easiest way to check the problems and fix them so that it is more compatible to most browsers?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Google honestly. Check on common issues such as IE's handling of the box model. Getting a site to look right in IE6 is certainly a pain.

3. star-fish macrumors regular

Run it through a code validator and see what it picks up.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

5. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

yea, I know about those. But I guess my question is how do I figure out what code is best for all browsers when it comes to each of the individual errors?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Guess and check. There are some tutorials on specific issues, but there's no brush stroke you can sue to fix things. There's too many possibilities with CSS so you won't find for your exact situation in most cases. You just have to gradually adapt. It comes mostly from experience. There's some CSS I just avoid because I know IE will screw it up. It's hard to share that knowledge though because its often context specific. There often is a "best" code way to do something, there's just multiple ways to do the same thing.

7. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Gosh, it all sounds like such a nightmare. Especially for someone like me who doesnt know a ton about css. And now ive noticed that it gets all messed up on the latest IE browsers too.

Maybe ill just find an expert to pay a little bit of cash to get it all fixed up for me.

Anyone have any recommendation on who to use?