Browser help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Harry Pujols, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Harry Pujols macrumors newbie

Hey folks -

Still getting my feet wet with my new 13" MBPR - loving every minute of it. Haven't been a Safari user previously and liking the experience.

However, am finding some issues with Flash (being a long time Windows user, wasn't quite ready for this heh). Certain YouTube videos tell me the Flash is required, and recommends me to download it.

My question is:

Am I better of downloading Flash for Safari?
    or
    Should I explore Chrome or Firefox? (never used either, was a blissfully ignorant IE user for years)

While I realize the risk of Malware/security issues is minimalied with a Mac, I'd prefer not to do anything that would put my shiny, new (and expensive!) toy in jeopardy!

thx in advance!
    HP

2. sine-nomine macrumors regular

If your only use is YouTube videos, you can set it to use html 5 and forget Flash altogether.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My opinion is do not install Flash and just use Chrome for the rare instance you really need to use a site with Flash.

I use the Youtube 5 Safari extension to view YT without Flash and it works perfectly.

4. Harry Pujols thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think my use will just be Youtube. That's how I first discovered it. I'm guessing things like Netflix/HBOGO/and other internet streaming content will give me similar issues?

I'm leaning towards the Chrome/Firefox route - just have zero exposure to either.

5. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Not sure about HBOGO, but Netflix uses Silverlight rather than Flash.