Browser idea: Changing initial placement of new tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kylos, Nov 4, 2009.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Tabbed browsing has introduced a new browsing paradigm in which one can rapidly open many pages linked from specific articles or aggregation sites to read at a later point. Having adapted this paradigm and used it widely in my browsing habits, I have noticed that it falls short in a few instances. Often, I will open a list of tabs and then start reading through the pages left to right. At each page, I may want to open additional links from that page into new tabs in the current window. However, when I do so, they appear at the end of the list, sometimes many tabs away from the related article.

What I would like to see is a preference or a modifier key that would cause additional tabs to be opened immediately after the current tab but before the following tabs in the list. This would allow me to group related tabs more easily. This would probably work best as a modifier key rather than an option in the browser preferences, since the current behavior may be desirable when a series of tabs are opened in order of importance or chronology.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this matter. Is this something that you could see being useful?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think that once I've gotten 5 or 6 tabs open, it's time for a new window. The tabs become so small that the cryptic descriptions are impossible to decipher. I'd say that once you've opened a page that you want to chase links from, drag its tab off the current window to create a new window, then chase as many of 'em as you want!

3. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

True. However, I find that I typically just apple-w my way left to right. It's much faster than tearing off a new window. Hmm, what might be more interesting is a modifier key that would open the current tab and the target link in a new window, thus achieving the separation you propose while eliminating a few steps. This may not seem like a big deal, but when you see my frenetic browsing habits you might realize how this could be useful!

4. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos