Browser Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kupoback, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Kupoback macrumors member

Hey,

So I'm using FireFox on my Mac, and I'm unsure what is going on here, but at random times I am getting ad's on my screen that are not part of the website. Like a google sponsored ad, or it randomly forwards, after clicking a common link, e.g. reddit /r/ link to see a comic or whatever, to a spam site.

I've tried to clear cache, cookies, login, etc, and when I do it, it freezes and asks me if I wish to stop a script. Each time I try to clear again, it's a different script.

Is there something in terminal I can run to find what this program is, or something I can install to scan?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The NoScript extension for Firefox allows control over what JavaScripts can run on a site. You might try that to block any unwanted scripts.

If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

3. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

I had No Script active, but it still occured. I will try the latter. Would that matter at any location? As I have it occur at school, and at home.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your NoScript settings, as you may be able to tighten the restrictions. Your DNS settings on your computer work regardless of your location.