Browser Javascript and Plugins

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kirk Boragine, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Kirk Boragine macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

I'm testing the Opera Browser v.10.63 for Tiger. This can pertain to Safari and 10.4Fx as well. Should I enable/disable javascript and plugins? Are these still viable options for an outdated browser by todays modern standards? Do some sites still benefit or will I be breaking things by disabling? Are there serious security issues enabling them? Is it a trade-off? Sorry for so many questions. I've never known very much about javascript or plugins. Not that I need to know more about the technical workings of them. Short answers are fine. I'm looking for a balance of functionality and performance. Aren't we all? ;)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    Here are some options in Opera...

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If you're going to use Opera, I would suggest Opera 10.10. While 10.63 was the last Universl version, and versions of Opera past 10.10 did work on PowerPC they were NOT stable.

You can use JS in Opera. In fact, you can force Opera to use the latest JS files that the company puts out for the browser. The one BIG problem with Opera 9.x however is that it's User Agents identify the browser as some very, very old versions. This makes it almost impossible to use sites like Facebook or other JS heavy sites.

Opera was my main browser until I just could not get around the fact that Facebook would not work in it.

As far as stuff for the browser such as plugins and such, Opera abandoned all that years ago. Anything you can find you should expect not to work.

May want to look through this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-your-tips-and-tricks.1496149/#post-16377896

Posted in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/life-without-flash-share-your-tips-and-tricks.1496149

3. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Cool, I'll check out v.10.10 -Seems I'm starting to remember all this stuff from way back when. Going down the same paths I did with my G4 back in the day. I'm not a FB player so that shouldn't bother me. Interesting notes about Opera and plugins. I'm aware of the Flash notes. Just drumming up courage to tackle that one. I remember doing that back in the day too. Uninstalling the old, installing the latest from Adobe... I was a fan of Opera back then too. Time to give it a chance to take a permanent spot on my Dock this time around as well. Thanks eyoungren! You've been a big help.
    Well, I'm getting the dreaded "Unable to complete secure transaction" page on most websites (including this one). Will I find answers to that in the tips links before trying a newer version of Opera?

4. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

It appears those scripts might be too new. Not working here. I read you're post on how to swap out the file. The files are for 11 and 12. Maybe they don't work in 10...
    Um... nevermind. User error here. Helps to paste the new file in the right folder. Anyhow, now I have Opera Desktop 12.50 core 2.12.388 enabled. Same errors on websites though.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, unfortunately that's going to be down to the browser's JS engine and the user agent.

Opera 10.6x was a catch-22 because as I said, those later versions were unstable, but they did have a more updated user agent.

6. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Well after a day of mucking about with a bunch of browsers I've come to the conclusion that nothing beats 10.4Fx. It's a little slower than I'd like, but on a G3 with 600MHz CPU it's quite remarkable. The ability to use add-ons is icing on the cake. Thanks for recommending Umatirx ;) I've also installed Perian and avc1decoder. Will test that stuff tomorrow.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Many people here on the forums (not me!) swear by Safari/Leopard Webkit. That doesn't do it for me, but personally I'd rather trade off a little speed for customization. Mozilla-based browsers (such as T4Fx) provide that.

You might look into a User Agent addon. I use User Agent Switcher because it gives you a large range of browsers to emulate, allows for a custom UA and does all that without altering the original UA.

I mention it because you could emulate a mobile device. This is how Classila works. Mobile websites are often as functonal as the normal site but their contant is much more optimized.

I was very sorry to have to abandon Opera. I really liked it. I have a theme I use with it that isn't available anywhere else and I loved it's Fast Dial. I've been able to emulate all of that in T4Fx (Fast Dial, themes, etc) but I do miss that small period of time where it was my main browser.