Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokr10ae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Hello,

After I cleaned my macbook pro with cleanmac I now have problems when visiting some sites. The site will not load some of the content/pictures.

See the attachment where you can see how the pages look like for me. This is same in both chrome and safari.

Hope you can help!

Kind Regards,
Joakim

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2016-10-13 17.52.03.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2016-10-13 17.52.03.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • Skjermbilde 2016-10-13 17.52.10.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2016-10-13 17.52.10.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 117

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Jesus, no wonder. Avoid CleanMyMac like the plague. Any 'cleaner' apps. They do so much more harm than good.

Download and run MalwareBytes for Mac: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

If that doesn't work, run an OS repair. Boot into recovery OS by holding Cmd+R on startup. This will boot into OS X Utilities.

Select 'reinstall OS X'. This won't delete any data, just reinstalls the core OS components.

Then download AppCleaner and drag CMM into it. That should destroy every trace of that POS app: https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/AppCleaner_3.4.zip

Reactions: Synchro3
Jesus, no wonder. Avoid CleanMyMac like the plague. Any 'cleaner' apps. They do so much more harm than good.

Download and run MalwareBytes for Mac: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

If that doesn't work, run an OS repair. Boot into recovery OS by holding Cmd+R on startup. This will boot into OS X Utilities.

Select 'reinstall OS X'. This won't delete any data, just reinstalls the core OS components.

Then download AppCleaner and drag CMM into it. That should destroy every trace of that POS app: https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/AppCleaner_3.4.zip

I've been using CleanMyMac for years, MacPaw is a reputable company with good software. I will say that since Sierra performs it's own cleanup, I find less use for it, but I've never had a problem with it, of course I don't run cleaner software every day, mostly just for fully removing leftovers from old software long departed from my Mac.

I do believe that some apps are malicious like MacKeeper, but CleanMyMac was never included in the list, just a by product of consumer association. As such, I will need you to cite your source on where CleanMyMac was caught being malicious.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I've been using CleanMyMac for years, MacPaw is a reputable company with good software. I will say that since Sierra performs it's own cleanup, I find less use for it, but I've never had a problem with it, of course I don't run cleaner software every day, mostly just for fully removing leftovers from old software long departed from my Mac.

I do believe that some apps are malicious like MacKeeper, but CleanMyMac was never included in the list, just a by product of consumer association. As such, I will need you to cite your source on where CleanMyMac was caught being malicious.

I didn't call CleanMyMac malicious. I called it a piece of ****. Which it is.

Plus there's nothing CMM does that free apps already can. So at best, you're paying for something you shouldn't.

I recommended running MWB because if a person thinks running CMM is necessary or even a good idea, they're probably not opposed to having an Applications folder full of PUPs.

I didn't call CleanMyMac malicious. I called it a piece of ****. Which it is.

Plus there's nothing CMM does that free apps already can. So at best, you're paying for something you shouldn't.

I recommended running MWB because if a person thinks running CMM is necessary or even a good idea, they're probably not opposed to having an Applications folder full of PUPs.

Depending on use case, some find it useful on small drives where space is at a premium, and perhaps they don't know about the free programs such as Onyx. I personally like MacPaw because their software has been good. Yes I could easily write a program to do all of this in about 30 minutes, but tbh with you, I'm not going to reinvent the wheel. I buy software because I support the developer. Even if it is free, I typically donate to the developer for their efforts.

Last I checked, the world referred to software that does harm as malicious. Unless Webster decided to up and change the definition of malicious. So I will again ask you, where is the proof that CleanMyMac does harm.

Mackeeper can be sourced here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2921...ram-opens-critical-hole-on-mac-computers.html

I have yet to find any substantial evidence that CleanMyMac does harm to a computer.

Apple does request that people stay away from cleaners and boosters because some of them have advanced options that can seriously damage a computer's file system, Apple just doesn't want to have to explain how to fix it when you do. So they just say don't use them.

As to the OP, your best case scenario is that you reset Safari to defaults. Google how to do this, as it is already well documented in many places.

If that doesn't fix your issue, perform a re-install. You know what you did to cause the problem when you used the cleaner software, don't use that option again. If you just downloaded CleanMyMac from a torrent, you should remove it and run a virus scan. When I said CleanMyMac was virus free, I'm talking about the legitimate, non-cracked, version.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi Mild, I came across pretty short tempered. Sorry. It's just that it's a familiar argument here and a big point of contention.

Even the way it markets itself; last I remember, CMM boasted that the average user clears up 50GB worth of data after running it.

Now if that's true, that's more concerning to me than if it was a lie. To clear up 50GB worth of data in a quick, casual swoop — well it makes me worry, seeing as every plist file combined on OS X could probably fit on a floppy disk. Plus leaving such files doesn't really do any harm, even if they're redundant leftovers from a once installed app.

I would argue that with such an application, the onus to prove its worth should be from the person who recommends it, rather than the one advising to steer clear.
[doublepost=1476382086][/doublepost]
So I will again ask you, where is the proof that CleanMyMac does harm.

My suspicions were first aroused when the OP started this thread and said the issue happened straight after running CleanMyMac. :D

Last edited:
It doesn't boast to free up 50 GB on a fresh install. It just removes localizations, i.e. I can't read Russian, don't need the localization for it. It also removes developer junk, like debug builds that accidentally shipped with the program. When I run it, I typically free up about 1 - 2 GB of log files and caches. The most I've ever freed up was 44.6 GB, but it included iTunes backups and software updates for iPhones and iPads.

Yes a lot of cleaner programs claim to clean more than they actually do, but CMM actually cleans what it says it can clean, it's also very granular and lets you choose whether to reset an application (i.e. delete it's preferences) or remove it all together. It's not nag-ware either.

Philocetes

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
Gotta ask: No time machine backup before doing the cleanup? Maybe its cause I have a cmp, but its easy for me to just designate a drive or partition as the time machine disk--just toss in something I have in the basement. I think an outboard drive and be used as such as well--might be worth looking into.

So, I can infer a few things from the discussion, but anybody want to elaborate on the wisdom and approach of doing cleanup? I like the idea of cleaning up old partial uninstalls and kexts from long gone software. I know windows had your registry cleaners which removed loose ends and the like.

Recently I got a new used cmp and I did the migrate utility. I figured that must have left behind at least any obsolete stuff in osx directories, but it seemed to bring a few things over I wasn't expecting--like all apps. I also used Lingon to trim down the number of nuisance start up items and phone home things.

Of course, that triggers serial number and password re-entry on some apps, but not a terrible hassle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.