Browser scrolling.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deus ex machina, Jun 21, 2010.

1. deus ex machina macrumors regular

When using Safari or Firefox, the scrolling seems a bit choppy (as in not smooth). Is there a setting that this noob is missing on his MBP?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Nope, there are no settings you can change to sort this out. Have you tried Chrome? I have found that a lot less choppy.

3. deus ex machina thread starter macrumors regular

I did. It is a little bit better, but not quite..... good.

4. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

I get this too. Most in Firefox, then Safari and a bit less in Chrome.

Is it normal, or is it an actual problem that can / should be solved? Like something hard- or software wise?

5. Waffmeister macrumors newbie

Me too. But I also noticed that my HDD is writing all the time. Pretty much sounds like a Windows box full with viruses and spyware... :(

And the browsing is choppy, get 10 second freezes when multitasking a bit. Not doing anything heavy but watching a youtube clip is almost impossible.

Also doesn't Safari 5 seem slower in loading pages than the old one, or is that just me?:rolleyes:

6. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

How old is your computer?

You should pay close attention to your hard drive as it might be giving out, not to say that you should run and get a new one. Just back up your stuff in case it does go out.

7. Waffmeister macrumors newbie

I got it in december 09 and it started acting funny a couple of months ago... I should say I'm new to Mac so if there is any "regular" tools to use to maintain it, I haven't used them :)

I will backup and pay close attension and if it goes, I hope it's before the warranty...

8. D0rk macrumors member

I get this too on my 3 week old MBP13 (2.4). I don't even really notice a difference between Firefox and Chrome in terms of choppiness, it just happens all around.

9. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Definitly. That's why I switched to Chrome. It seems a bit fast than Safari 4, and definitely faster than Safari 5.

10. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Are your browsers (almost) never sluggish?
    I'd like to know if i have a problem that i need to solve, or if i'm simply expecting too much from my computer?

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Already have a Flash Blocker installed.

But it sounds like you - and others - don't have this sluggishness, so i kinda think some of us have some wierd problem. A problem i'd really like to have solved!

13. deus ex machina thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is a new machine. Fluid scrolling has been around since the XP days, I would expect it on my MBP. If it is a setting that keeps the browser from engaging the GPU and saving power, perhaps it can be changed.

14. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

Did you try the scrolling speed setting under "Trackpad" in System Preferences?

I keep mine at the third or fourth notch from the left and it works well for me.