Browser Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watercool, Jul 2, 2015.

1. watercool macrumors newbie

watercool

Hey,

I use Firefox (38.0.5) on my Macbook Pro and I tend to have a few tabs open at one time.
    But it's started getting really slow, freezing and taking a while to load pages with a lot of pictures
    when I'm using the internet.

Any suggestions for a non-techy person :)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well try using Safari instead.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Try other browsers, if the problem is present accross all of them something's wrong with either your home network or your internet connection.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try using Safari, avoid Chrome it will only bog your system down as it`s poorly optimised, if want the Chrome experience try Chrome Canary as it`s far more optimised for OS X. Ultimately Safari is going to deliver the best performance on a Mac.

Q-6

5. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I use Chrome and have no issues with it whatsoever.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Or if you want to stay on Firefox you can try optimizing the performance. There are a number of adjustments you can make in about:config to improve performance.

There is a link in my signature for a browser named TenFourFox, which is a fork of Mozilla (the people who make Firefox). T4Fx is for PowerPC Macs, but all of the optimizations that I did for it came from Firefox (they apply to T4Fx).

The stock settings that Mozilla provides for Firefox really don't cut it in my opinion. Hence my optimizations.

Lastly, if you've added any addons lately those can also be a drag on memory, which would slow Firefox down.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Then you don't use it heavily, Chrome is a huge resource hog on OS X, Chrome Canary is vastly improved for those that want the Chrome experience.

Q-6

8. watercool thread starter macrumors newbie

watercool

Thanks people - I'll start using Safari and see how it goes.

This might sound petty but.... is there a way for Favicons to show on my favourite toolbar, like it does on Firefox?

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, there is. Refer my screenshot.

10. sumer macrumors regular

If you want to stick with Firefox try Waterfox. to me it seems a little faster. I have loads of open tabs and no lag or issues.

Cheers