Browser that allows full gmail....

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Onemorerun, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Onemorerun macrumors member

After some research i'm thinking that there isn't, but thought i would double check here. Is there an IPad 3rd party web browser that allows you to use the Gmail FULL version?

I know that there is a gmail mobile version that you automatically access and when you try to use the full version you can't enter information or scroll down.

I already use the ios email client on my iPhone and don't want to utilize it on iPad for security reasons. However, once in awhile I would like to log into my gmail from my iPad. The big problem is that the mobile client doesn't allow you to choose alternate "FROM" addresses. The full gmail does.

Thanks.

2. ctbear macrumors 6502a

For the scroll: have you tried using 2 fingers?

3. Kristijan macrumors member

What about using something like Atomic and just changing to user agent to identify as a desktop browser?

-Kristijan

4. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I tried that...

I tried Dolphin Browser and it didn't work.

Scrolling doesn't work, nor does the ability to enter information into fields.

I'm going to wait to see if the browser release for IOS5 will be able to do it.

Thanks.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

i used icabmobile with my gmail account today. it worked fine.

6. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

Just confirm is that with the "full" Gmail...

Hi,

before I buy it, I just wanted to confirm that is with the "full" desktop Gmail, and not with just the "mobile" watered down gmail?

If it works with the "full" gmail, they should advertise it because a lot of people are looking for the same thing as myself.

Thanks!!

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the actual trick to using "full" gmail it to use a browser that allows you to choose it to report as a full desktop browser. I am pretty sure that both Atomic and iCab allow you to change how they report to websites (called the User Agent).

You should be able to choose something like the desktop version of Safari or Firefox for your User Agent so that gmail will think you are browsing from a computer, rather than an iPad.

8. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

The Terra browser also let's you choose to report it as OSX Safari.

9. tarsins, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

10. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

There's actually a link..

There's actually a link from the mobile version (at the bottom) to view in the full desktop Gmail version.

So far, I have tested in Dolphin Browser, as well as Safari, but it is a no go.

I just wanted to confirm that someone has actually tested the full Desktop Gmail in one of these 3rd party browsers before I start buying a half dozen of them.

Thanks

----------

Hi Tarsin,

did you try and click into the body of a new message field.

For me, it won't allow me to click into the fields to write messages. Although, I can view it.

I have an IPAD 1, but don't think it should make a difference.

11. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

You're right, it's pretty much useless. I'd only ever used it for a quick look before and hadn't seen the problems. My gripe with the mobile version is that it doesn't let me choose a "send as" address.

Good luck on your quest.

12. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

Exactly my issue, I need "send As"..

Exactly my issue, I need "send As".

I read the Android Mobile Gmail has it. Go figure.

I'll post if I find something.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My iPad 2 is great for what it's designed for.

Remember it's only a tablet and Apple hates Google. That should explain it right there.

It's no different than the fact that my ThinkPad operates fast and cool after hours of flash videos. My MBP doesn't. Apple hates Adobe.... see the correlation?

It's no big deal, just the way it is. A problem that cannot be solved, therefore it's not a problem but rather a fact of life.

That's why I enjoy being a multi-platformist. No limitations. :)

14. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

15. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

"Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad"

Don't we all!

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You could always use the native email app and leave the password blank. When you try to access it prompts you to put in a password. Kind of a pain, but until you do find something that works.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

icabmobile. it works with the regular gmail interface and not the infuriating mobile version. now that you mention it, you do have to compose emails using plain text ( there is a little prompt for this above e body section ). other than that, it works just like it should.

18. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

Works better in new Safari...

Just and FYI for anyone interested. Just tried the full desktop Gmail in the new Safari and it works better.

Basically, all I wanted to have is the ability to choose the "from" address. And I can do this. Best way is to hit compose and then hit the little pop out window icon on the top right.

You won't be able to do any HTML formatting but I don't do much of that anyways.

19. S1000RR macrumors newbie