browser to download videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michaelgtrusa, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Dear members, I've heard many speak of using the safari browser to download vids! I'm comfused! Can someone help?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Could you be more specific?

Might just be talking about illegally downloading movies through bittorrent or something like that (which you generally need a browser to download the target file).

Doubtfully, but just as cool is an app called TubeTV. It's a free download for Mac (requires a plugin Symbian to be downloaded as well, it tells you all about it) that can be used to capture a page from your web browser and download embedded video clips through the likes of livetv or youtube and automatically convert them to a iPod or iPhone ratios. However, I don't think it works just yet with youtube's new widescreen format. An update will hopefully follow.

3. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Let say for example I go on a corporate site like nbc that has a vid clip that I like can I download it?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Sometimes those places will let you download videos to use on a special player a la google video. I'm not sure if TubeTV can work with nbc or hulu but I don't think so, off the top of my head. It's worth doing a google for the app and checking out its compatible features.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can generally just open Window > Activity and look for the really big file. For example, on YouTube:

[​IMG]

You can just double-click on the file to download.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Double clicking the file in Window > Activity doesnt always work. I use Window > Activity to locate the file on the server then click in the address bar and press Option + Return. The file will then download to your downloads folder.

This works great for embedded Flash files. ;)

7. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Macboobs pro Can you please explain a little more?

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sa you found a video you want to download but you dont really have the option to do so i.e. a flash video.

If you know the URL (web address) of the video file you can put that into your address bar in Safari then hold down Option/Alternate key while pressing return and the file will download.

Sometimes its hard to tell where the file is located so you can use Window > Activity to bring up a list of everything on the current open webpage, look for the most likely file that is the video you want. If its flash it will end with either .swf or .flv. Copy that address into your address bar and press option + return.

9. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

That didn't work! I was on the truveo site which has links to univision and now truveo is blocking me for some reason. I wanted some univision vid clips. This is a latin site.

10. obdave macrumors member

There's a plugin for Firefox called Download Helper that makes it very easy to grab video content.

11. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa