Browser update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tiggernikki233, Oct 4, 2008.

1. tiggernikki233 macrumors newbie

Hi
    Another question. I have an old iMac with OSX already installed (not sure what version) and am wondering how to upgrade my browser. When I go to firefox or safari and download a browser it is in a .dmg (?) and when I try to open and install it tells me that windows does not know how to handle this type of file. I have internet explorer and it won't even let me install anything newer than like 5.2 or something. Any ideas?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm confused. Are you downloading the browser on this iMac or some other machine? You mention that you got an error message about Windows, but you should be just downloading the browser within OS X on the iMac. Can you clarify your situation?

3. tiggernikki233 thread starter macrumors newbie

browser update

I apologize! I am so used to windows it just hit the page. It says that Internet explorer does not know how to handle this file then when you save it to your desktop as a .dmg file and try to open it this is what it says: it has disk copy at the top
    image name: firefox 3.0.1.dmg
    Image format: UDIF read-only
    Checksum: CRC32 $0B67A563 INVALID
    Unable to verify "Firefox 3.0.1.dmg"

It gives me the same response if I try firefox, safari or opera... so I went and found older version thinking maybe my system didn't support them and I can't seem to get any of them to work.
    Sorry for the confusion but thanks for asking me to clarify
    Crys

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Firefox 3 requires OS X 10.4 or later, and a minimum of a G3 processor.

Please provide your system specs.

In the top menu bar, click on the Apple symbol, then click on 'About this Mac.' The new window will tell you which version of OS X running, as well as your processor type and the amount of memory (RAM) in your computer. Please report those.

Also, if you click the 'More Info..' button, you can see a complete set of system specs.

5. tiggernikki233 thread starter macrumors newbie

browser update

Hi
    Thanks for the reply and the instructions for finding out what system. It is a PowerPC G3 processor but it is running OSX 10.1.5. Any suggestions?
    Thanks so much

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Well, if you plan to use the machine for awhile, I'd start with upgrading the OS. You won't be able to run OS X 10.5 (Leopard) on that machine, but depending on the amount of RAM, 10.4 should be alright. Others would have more opinion on this.

You could also run an older version of Firefox. However, it looks like FFv.2 will only be supported until the end of the year.