Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Posting this here because I'm assuming only other jb folk will know their realtime memory usage.

I'm using Atomic, and I'm tired of how often it crashes or restarts because of memory. Just a few minutes ago, I had 4 tabs open and 65MB memory free. After closing all four, it only got up to 74mb free. Killing atomic sent it up to 208, restarting atomic with one empty tab (just as it was when it was killed) only took it down to 186, and now after using this tab for several minutes it's at 147. It seems clear that the problem is that it doesn't release enough of th memory when you close a tab.

Others who have their memory usage displayed on the title bar (or otherwise can track it) - is iCab better? What other browsers are better at memory management? (And do downloads and can fake a desktop user agent)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Others who have their memory usage displayed on the title bar (or otherwise can track it) - is iCab better? What other browsers are better at memory management? (And do downloads and can fake a desktop user agent)

iCab is the best when it comes to memory management - it has the most sophisticated tab killing algorithm. However, even it will crash from time to time, "thanks" to Apple's absolutely no-frills approach to handling memory (read: the device will crash if you load a page taking too much memory and you in no way can predict whether the new page you're loading will fill up the memory.)

If you want absolutely the best, get Opera Mini, which uses orders of magnitude less memory. (Of course, its JS support etc. is abysmal.)

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Perfect browser is wonderful, it's extremely quick and memory efficient.

Just don't expect many extra features at all, it's for browsing the Internet with nothing fancy, if you need all the advanced features and such, use icab.

kobiano

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
I recommend Photon, I have 4 tabs open and have 331mb left. My JB iPad 3 has about 760mb free when there are no apps open. Also, you can't beat a browser that has tabbed browsing and flash video playback!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
lynx has the smallest memory footprint I have found.

Lolz :)

Sure it consumes minimal memory - if you like terminal, text-only apps :)

Back to the subject: anything WebKit-based will consume tens of Megabytes of emory to render a single(!) page. The only iOS browser that doesn't use WebKit is Opera Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.