Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Seattle-ish
Convinced my retiree dad to switch to an iMac when he said he wanted a sleek all-in-one computer to replace his desktop. He's transitioning well to the Mac OS, but he's got one usage habit I need to find a way to replicate.

Specifically, he keeps his bookmarks open in a column on the left of his web browser in IE and Firefox on the PC.

I assume Firefox also supports this on the Mac, right? What's the keypress -- apparently the Control-B keypress from the PC version doesn't toggle it on.

Do any other browsers support a bookmark sidebar on the Mac? Any way to set that up in Safari, Chrome, etc?

enxrat401

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
You should try Opera, screen for You.

HfaqV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....first of all, you may want to have a little look at the forum rules, thread "bumping" is frowned upon.

But, to actually help....in most cases keyboard shortcuts are made for things that can be found in the various menus of an application. In Firefox on a Mac, the bookmarks can be shown by selecting "view->sidebar->bookmarks" (or, command+b on the keyboard).

Alternatively, another browser like Omniweb has that function...oh yeah!

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I assume Firefox also supports this on the Mac, right? What's the keypress -- apparently the Control-B keypress from the PC version doesn't toggle it on.

Firefox does have a bookmarks sidebar. Just press CMD-B. CMD replaces CTRL for most shortcuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.