Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hello,

I have an 21' iMac (4 gig Ram, 3.06 i3) with 10.6.8 and I use safari 5.1.2 (which I keep 'naked' and constantly reset it) and firefox 8.0.1 which i have bookmarks, pass-codes, ect and fasterfox lite on.

My internet speed is about 40 mbps. Starcraft 2 runs fine ol, downloading is fine, my computer runs great actually...except the browser(s)...

It doesn't matter what kind I use (chrome, opera included) my browsers are always sluggish and very inconstant. I cannot open any extra tabs and have to constantly quit the browser and reload. My iPad 1 and Iphone 4s browsers work faster and so does my friends older labtop as I have done comparisons. I've tried using an open DNS and creating another user profile nether helped.

Any hints would be helpful.

Uglystik

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Input the correct proxy servers from your service provider would help faster browsing speed.

Nothapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
What is the capacity of your hard drive?
How much of the capacity is free space?

-500 gigs

-415 gigs free

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Input the correct proxy servers from your service provider would help faster browsing speed.

ok i'll call my isp and check what they are

----------

My isp says they don't use proxies. Any other suggestions?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... My isp says they don't use proxies. Any other suggestions?
I see no technical reason for your problems. That leaves a "custom configuration" by the user. The easiest way to test that is to create a new account for testing. The new account will have the default configuration. If things work properly in your new account, then you should replicate its setting in your working account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.