Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Confound all of them

I really prefer IE 4 under Classic mode. Fast, good rendering, better ActiveX support than Safari and FireFox. :p

To be serious, however, I prefer Safari because it seems like more of an Aqua program (although I do despise Brushed Metal). (I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the Japanese Shiira [if I spelt that correctly].)

I hadn't heard of PithHelmet; it looks nice, but I truly prefer open-source solutions (pardon if I missed a source download for PH--but it appears to be shareware), hence my espousal of Privoxy, a SourceForge-hosted proxy for ad blocking that involves no WebCore hacking. No GUI (save for CUPS-like webpage administration of options)--but powerful enough for any Unix/Linux/BSD guru to use, and the OS X package has a .pkg installer.

Cheers, all!

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
At present I use Safari over Firefox at home. Firefox for the Mac needs some work. Safari feels much faster to me. I like the fact that in Safari you can close a tab without having to have it be the formost tab, but getting a new tab is much easier in Firefox, I love that I have a button for it on the menu bar. For now I'll stick with Safari on the Mac, it loads all the sites I visit fine, I might switch to Firefox once the Mac version is up to speed, I love the extensions and themes.
On a side note, Firefox is my browser of choice for windows, no contest. I've made sure that no computer in my office uses IE anymore, all Firefox.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
jayscheuerle said:
I'm trying Firefox, but I have no scrollbars on the right! It's just a grey bar with nothing in it.. Is that right? I miss the close tabs X that Safari has. It hasn't crashed on me yet, so that's good.

I used to use Camino, back when it was Chimera, but lost interest..

Perhaps you should reconsider. Here's Camino's tab bar (attached).

Attachments

• caminotabs.jpg
    caminotabs.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 68

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
keirius said:
Hi. I'd like to ask which is a better browser, Safari or Firefox? :)
Besides that, does Spyware, browser hijacking and trojans affects a Mac?

Thanks... ;)

Which is better, pizza or pasta? Guess we'll never agree on that either. ;)

As for browsers, I use both. Spyware, hijacking and Trojans are not likely to bother you when you're on a mac.

-Squirrel

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
jayscheuerle said:
Perhaps the problem is my system, but Safari has been crashing a LOT on me lately. I'm trying Firefox, but I have no scrollbars on the right! It's just a grey bar with nothing in it.. Is that right? I miss the close tabs X that Safari has. It hasn't crashed on me yet, so that's good.

I used to use Camino, back when it was Chimera, but lost interest..

Omniweb was always the most beautiful when it came to page rendering, but it's slow on oldermachines.

Opera has a nice page scaling feature that scales the entire page, not just the text.

IE... What you go to when there's no other choice...

Uh... just realized my Firefox scrollbar problem was theme related... heh, heh...

Are you trying a nightly build of firefox? I always get that problem and have to go back to the 1.0 point release.

I use to use Camino all the time until Firefox came out. I just can't stand how Camino handles your history...

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
up until today, i loved safari.

then i wondered why my imac fans are always on (full blast). I went to terminal, typed 'top' and Safari was using 75-98% of CPU.

For the first time in weeks, my iMac is almost silent (using firefox)/

Apple really need to sort out their browser.

/asif

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
What could be causing Safari to use so much CPU? It is 0% on my Mac. What about creating a new user account and see if the problem remains. That could narrow it down.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
BornAgainMac said:
What could be causing Safari to use so much CPU? It is 0% on my Mac. What about creating a new user account and see if the problem remains. That could narrow it down.

It's a known issue with animated Gif images.

Try going to a page with lots of banners and stuff and watch your CPU usage rocket!

/asif

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
asif786 said:
It's a known issue with animated Gif images.

Try going to a page with lots of banners and stuff and watch your CPU usage rocket!

/asif
That just made me think...the very same issue probably affects Preview too, meaning that the root cause is outside WebKit/WebCore and might possibly be fixed in a forthcoming Mac OS X update (such as 10.3.8).

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I usually use Safari -- but I always put Firefox on a Mac too, the standard version on a G3 or G4 but that one guy's optimized version on a G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.