Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tug

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
hi guys,
a few weeks ago Firefox died completely on me (crashed to death!) uninstalled reinstalled, nothing, so went to safari, that was loading slow, i mean dead slow, went to Camino, same! opera, same, Google chrome yugh!
contacted isp, nothing wrong with i/c so did some searching, found a site called 'namebench' d/l it set it to work. what it does is find the fastest dns for your area. network/advanced/dns server. add the dns codes it comes up with, apply, reboot and then try surfing, unbelievably fast connections! got f/f back no problem! 'THE MAC IS BACK' brilliant!!! so if this helps anyone im glad.:)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
For some reason ISPs still have trouble with DNS. I switched to OpenDNS after Comcast's Northern VA DNS servers inexplicably crashed a few months ago and haven't had any problems since. I've also noticed a significant speed increase.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
A few notes:

1. You do not need to reboot the computer.

2. The most effective way to do this is to add those DNS server addresses on the router itself. This way, any client connecting to that router will get those DNS servers via DHCP. This also give you one central location to change the addresses in the event the preferred service becomes unavailable or unreliable.

geno59

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
A few notes:

1. You do not need to reboot the computer.

2. The most effective way to do this is to add those DNS server addresses on the router itself. This way, any client connecting to that router will get those DNS servers via DHCP. This also give you one central location to change the addresses in the event the preferred service becomes unavailable or unreliable.
My server is also slow at times. Could you list the steps I would need to take in order to change the the DNS server address as you mentioned. Sorry but I'm not to computer literate. Thanks for your help!

tug

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
hi Geno 59,
d/l namebench & set it to go, when it has finished it will show you the fastest dns codes for you area.
open network/advanced/dns. add the codes to dns servers column, thats it! your good to go. also its a good idea to follow calderones thread too. :)

geno59

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
hi Geno 59,
d/l namebench & set it to go, when it has finished it will show you the fastest dns codes for you area.
open network/advanced/dns. add the codes to dns servers column, thats it! your good to go. also its a good idea to follow calderones thread too. :)
Hello Tug, thanks for the reply. Could you repeat the steps I need to take in simple terms. I'm very sorry but I'm not computer savy at all and I don't know what you meant by "d/l benchwork" Thanks so much for your help. It's much appreciated.:)

tug

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
hi geno59, now mate, what to do is, google 'namebench' and download the software, open and set it to go, it will now 'scan' your area, this will take a few minutes then it will come back with a set of codes.
now you spotlight 'network' and when the page opens select advanced then dns.
there you will see your dns server codes. (at this point i would write these down in case you need to go back to them for any reason) hit the plus button and add the codes line by line. there's normally 3 sets. then press ok then apply.
thats it mate. all the best.
try this Geno:http://code.google.com/p/namebench/downloads/list

Last edited:

Squeakie42

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Al;bany, NY
Thanks

Thanks to Tug et al. for the tip about namebench. I used it tonight & think it's helped some -- not "blazing fast" level, but better than before.
I'm now using an iMac 21.5 for a couple of months. I have DSL, which has been slow ever since I moved 155 miles upstate 3 years ago; I think I'll have to try cable. But my loading speed had slowed to a sub-dial-up crawl lately, . Don't know what's affecting it. Haven't tried a different browser (Firefox is my current) yet, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.