Browsing App Store on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by saiyan, Sep 26, 2012.

  1. saiyan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #1
    I remember the App Store app on iOS 5 has a "Categories" section that allows you to view all apps based on released date. What I like about this view is that I can view recently releases apps, not just those in top 100 or in the Featured section. So apps which are not (yet) popular are also listed.

    In iOS 6 App Store, I don't see such option. The closest thing I find in iOS 6 is using the Categories view in the Featured section but it only allow me to see "featured" or "popular" apps released recently (may be within the last 24 to 48 hours ?).

    Does anyone know a way to view and browse all apps based on release dates in iOS 6?

    Thanks.
     
  2. HMI macrumors 6502a

    HMI

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    #2
    "More"

    In the App Store, clicking on the "More" tab reveals all the categories you are used to. Selecting one of those shows several rows full of relevant apps filtered by terms like "New." Above each row is the option to "see all" apps within that filtered list.

    You can also look up an app called "AppShopper". It's been around a long time, but gives you great searching, filtering, and tracking, including when developers increase/decrease the cost of their apps. This could help you save a bit of money on some apps if you know their pricing changes/cycles.
     
  3. saiyan, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

    saiyan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #3
    I have already tried the More option.

    For example, when I click on Featured -> More -> Books -> New - See All >, I get a page showing exactly 100 book apps.

    Are those the 100 most recently released book apps or 100 featured book apps? (There are no release dates listed on that page so I am inclined to think they are 100 "featured" apps).

    What if I want to see more book apps released before those?

    Do I need to wait for interesting apps to be listed on the Featured or Top Chart section?

    iOS 5 app store allows me to see more apps just by going to Categories -> [choose a category] -> New and then keeping swiping the list to the left repeatedly. and I often like to browse apps that way (even if most them are fart apps).

    Before anyone suggest me using the Search Field, let just say that sometimes I don't know what I want and by browsing apps that way I may find something interesting.

    Also apps listed in iOS 6 app store or top chart have their names truncated.
    For example, "Angry Brids Space HD" is listed as "Angry Birds...".

    Do I need view the app description page to see its full name?

    iOS 5 app store would have shown longer name (as long as it's not too long).
     
  4. saiyan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #4
    Hmm.. No response for a few days.

    It looks like no one knows how to get iOS 6 App Store to display apps based on release dates just like iOS 5 App Store..

    I guess that means if an app is NOT picked by Apple to be listed in the Featured section or users do not know it exits or search for it, that app will never get listed in iOS 6 App Store.

    Also I hate the way iOS 6 App Store displays detail info of any app.

    In iOS 5, when you click on an app to see its info, a full screen view of detail information is shown. Everything including compatiblity/requirement list, screenshots to user reviews are all listed on the same page. And I can easily use my left thumb near the bezel to scroll up and down page.

    In iOS 6, the App Store shows detail info in a smaller square area in the center of the screen. To view info shown on this square section, I have to move my hand to the center of the screen just to scroll the view up and down.

    Also the header section which shows the app icon and name is static (e.g. does not move) and it occupies almost 40% leaving 60% of this square area for displaying app detail. And because it's a smaller area on the screen, I have to constantly scroll up and down (even just to read user reviews!).

    Furthermore, multi-tab view is implemented so I need to tab on additional links to see various info such as top in app purchase, user reviews and so on.

    In iOS 5 app store, app details are basically all listed on the same page using full screen and no multi-tab view. I can basically view all info just by scrolling up and own the page.

    I hope Apple will change how app detail is displayed in future App Store.
     

Share This Page