iMac Pro Browsing Internet with Safari is Impressively Fast on iMac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seasurfer, Feb 26, 2018.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

After using it for a day, I just couldn't stop playing with the Safari browser, compare to my iMac 5K 2014, this machine is just so much faster browsing the internet. I wonder why is that so? Do we really need 8-core processor to browse the internet?

The iMac 5K 2014 (aka first iMac 5K) is only 3 years old, it is still considered a good machine by many, but I just don't feel that it is speedy anymore doing this type of day to day chores...(I reinstall Mac OS 10.13 last month, so machine is very clean and free of any malwares)

2. iMacDonald macrumors member

iMacDonald

What type of HDD did you have on your iMac, a FD or SSD?
    I wonder if it is down to increased bus speeds on the iMac Pro alone or due to improvements such as SSD that are mostly already prevalent on the normal iMac 2017 (providing you BTO with SSD).

I would be interested to hear from someone who has used the iMac (with SSD) and iMac Pro side by side.

3. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iMac 5K 2014 version I had used an SSD. There is no HDD inside.

4. h9826790, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Safari is GPU accelerated. May be Apple put a lot of effort to optimise Safari for the Vega.

High capacity HBM2 may help the speed as well. If you open Facebook, and keep scrolling down, you will realise the VRAM usage is keep increasing. If you close that page, the VRAM will release again. A lot of people believe browser can only use system memory like most applications do, but actually, modern browsers are using VRAM to accelerate.

Anyway, can you quantify the difference?

e.g. 0.2s finish loading a MacRumors forum page on the iMac Pro vs 1.5s loading on the iMac etc. Just let the others have the feeling that how fast it is.

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

6. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agree!!!

The best computer for Facebook, Youtube, Google Search etc...

7. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

This thread made me laugh. I know exactly what you mean, as Safari lags a tiny bit on my laptop, but the notion that someone might buy an iMP to get "improved web browsing experience" really is a laugh.

8. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know right.

After using Windows 10 in iMac Pro for the last 3 hours, browsing the web with Edge is slightly faster than the Corsair One with 1080Ti, not to mention the beautiful 5K screen.

iMac Pro is indeed the best machine out there right now for browsing web, posting on Forums, Facebooks, Twitter, preparing Words document, or Power Point, or Keynotes for presentation.

I haven't test Excel yet, but I can imagine it may be the best machine to run statistical calculation for writing academic papers.

9. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

10. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your signature, "Life is short. Always enjoy what you want.".....resonating with my neurons now...

Maybe I should own both Corsair One and iMac Pro...I enjoy both for difference reasons....

11. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

I use Safari on Macbook and Macbook Pro. But on iMP, I use Vivaldi. iMP is a powerhouse, and when I'm doing any kind of research with lots of tabs open, I want something that is powerful to organize my tabs and my complete workflow. With sessions integrated into Vivaldi, Tab Stakcing, Notes taking, and a bunch of other features, using Safari or anything else on a iMP feels like a bad joke :p