Browsing network computers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by herman238, Apr 2, 2008.

1. herman238 macrumors member

How do i browse all computers on the network like in this image? Or even browse them at all, i know they show up in the left hand side of finder, but this seems to be rather intermittent

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

If you select one of the machines and click connect you'll probably have to authenticate with it. Once that's successful it should be added to the sidebar.

3. herman238 thread starter macrumors member

But how do i browse for computers to begin with?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Each network protocol must be enabled. The computers that you want to access must be available. There is no way to see your colleague's desktop computer if she turned it off when she went to lunch.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

In Finder: Go > Network...

Or add "Network" to the sidebar by going into Finder's Sidebar preferences (Finder > Preferences, Sidebar pane).

6. TheBlackTruth macrumors newbie

Are you guys even READING this guys well-posed and illustrated question???

He (and I) want to know about BROWSING, not connecting, BROWSING devices connected to the surrounding network.

More broadly, I'd like to know if there is a tool which will pick up both Mac and PC computers . . .anything connected using the major LAN protocols. . .

7. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

he probably bought a networking book several years ago. necro ftw.

for you, you are looking for mild to wild network auditing software if not an appliance. Google port scanners for a start and work from there. As often times ports and protocols they are associated with can be used together. Example: I could say I am port scanning for ports 25 and 587. Or I could say I am smtp scanning.

If a security manager (or what your company may call the role) I'd highly recommend qualsys. Its an appliance that offers many features for testing and reporting. It will get you protocols and so much more. Stuff like this you want appliance based imo. Qualsys has been stable hardware and the updates come frequent to keep you up to date.

If not a security manager I'd highly recommend not going down this rabbit hole. If you have a need to do this, ask them what they'd do or use. As at some point your "browsing" will show up on reports somewhere (at least I hope so).

Port/protocol scanning quickly gets classified as pen testing. If not authorized to do this, bad things can happen. I am an admin, but not a security manager. When I do anything in this area I make sure my security manager knows of it before I do it.