Bruno- Same jokes in EVERY Australian INterview is a big Yawn

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by needthephone, Jun 30, 2009.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Bruno the new film by the Borat creator is about to be released. I loved Ali G and parts of Borat so I am a fan of the guy.

BUT

Here in Australia Sascha Baron Cohen is on every available TV and radio show it seems.

OK its funny at first.

I saw him on Rove and thought this looks a funny film.

But then I saw him on a couple of breakfast TV shows. Different interviewer but always the same lines. The jokes about swapping baby for ipod, about arnold shraznegger, etc etc.

I know he has to present a consistent message but everyone I know is saying the same thing. Its more cringeworthy when the interviewers fein laughter as they must know the lines by heart too....

WE are now totally over Bruno. Can't he make up some more jokes.

When you hear the exact same routine for the tenth time it wears a bit thin.

I liked the first 40 minutes of Borat then it was so boring. I think Bruno will be the same. To be honest after his promotional tour to Australia I am not at all interested in seeing this film.

I am over it already.

Some times too much publicity is harmful, especially when you know its a blatant scripted routine delivered with machine like efficiency.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Maybe it's because you're not supposed to watch every show that he appears on. :D

I loved Borat and I'm sure I'll love Bruno, but I agree, he does do the same routine on all the shows. But again, I only watch maybe one or two that he appears on, so it doesn't bother me.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I can see how it could get old quick but I rather like that he stays in character, it keeps the promotion going. He'll be onto the next thing before too long.

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Bruno looks hilarious, I can't wait to see it. Borat was great also, but Ali G was just okay. The scene where Ali G is on his bed and he dreams his dog is his girlfriend made me quit watching the movie that time. I did watch it later though.

5. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems everyone else thinks the same thing.

Look, its difficult to avoid him at the moment, its not as if I'm switching channel to watch him being interviewed. If he did a different routine it would be ok but no, is the same jokes all the time. Funny once, a tiiter the second time but dull from then on.

The Sydney Morning Herald has some articles firstly panning the film
    http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/brunos-a-onejoke-wonder-20090703-d7eg.html

saying its a one joke wonder, then a review of the launch

"In person, Brüno seemed an affable host, though it should be noted that few superstars still living have got away with recycling their material with such frequency. This is partly because no one likes laziness, even from alleged superstars, but mainly because the people in the theatre get a live feed from the red carpet and no one likes having to sit through the same speech twice"

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertai...g-lame-gay-joke/2009/07/02/1246127624192.html

Then they have done a poll and an overwhelming majority say Borat is better than Bruno.
    http://www.smh.com.au/polls/people/form.html

Honestly he should take stock of what he did in Australia as his publicity I think will ruin the films success here.

We are so OVER him.

6. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

LoL that was hilarious!!!

But yeah.. I have to agree with you here; this whole Brüno thing is exaggerating quite a bit here in Oz. He's funny, but he has his limits. Can't wait to see the movie though!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Speaking of which, I wonder what he'll do next? He's exhausted his old characters. Wonder if we'll see sequels.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

I've not seen the film. I've not seen him interviewed. I've not seen it in the news, the papers, the internet.

And I've not even tried to avoid him.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought the commercials for Borat looked horrible. Then I saw the film, and thought it was funny. :)

Bruno looks horrible as well, but I'm sure it'd be funny if I saw it.

And the guy should have made 2 or 3 movies at the same time. Each time he makes a movie and releases it, it becomes more difficult to make another one because he becomes less anonymous.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ugh, I'm definitely in the minority here, but to me Bruno looks really stupid. No way will I spend the $8 to go see it.

11. suburbia macrumors 6502

Completely agree with you there-- it looks utterly stupid and seems to aim for cheap laughs. Which is a complete sellout for Cohen, because his Bruno character was originally smart, witty, clever and sartorial. Just look up the Bruno clips on Youtube.

This movie version of Bruno looks clueless, crass and plain tired. The imbecile-act worked for Borat because Borat was a clueless moron set free on the American Midwest, amidst the Bible Belt. Dumbing down Bruno to make him a flaming version of Borat is lazy and makes no sense, because someone like Bruno, despite his flamboyant appearance, would not be like Borat.

Stupid.