Brushed metal blog: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mike Teezie, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Give it to me straight, I'm on the fence about my new blog design I'm working on. On one hand, I really like it - os x-ish and all - but brushed metal has been done sooooo much.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

Brushed metal blog

Also, is the load time ok? I have a javascript from the script.aculo.us library running on the "about me" section.

Note: the final url will be /blog, not /journal205. This is just the blog that i develop templates for.

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It's a nice start but it needs something to break apart the links in the bar and the main image looks a little bland.

3. adom macrumors 6502

Its looking good. I have a couple of suggestions tho:

1. The rollover font colour isn't the right choice for the nav menu. Its too dark and doesn't contrast with the brushed metal theme it sits on. Maybe a different colour, or possibly no colour change at all - instead an underline onMouseOver?

2. As someone pointed previously, separate the menu items with something. Maybe a " | " or some kind of bullet? Anything to make the items look separate and difinitive.

3. The RSS feed image has a 'link border' - get rid! it will look alot better!

Apart from that, I like it very much! :D

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Maybe just use a solid grey color for the nav instead of repeating the brushed metal? I like the look of it. I would also shrink the width of the a page a little bit more maybe, because there isn't a whole lot of content. I'm a huge fan of negative space.

And I LOVE your photography. Damn, I wish you could take my portrait!

5. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

I'm kind of digging the theme. I don't know if I really like the brushed metal, but everything else looks pretty good. If you release this theme, please PM me and let me know!

6. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Arrgghh!!! I always forget to kill the link borders! I agree about the rollover color. I need to find a new one.

Thanks for the kind words! This thing will have mega-content on it when it goes live. I blog 10-15 images from my shoots almost everyday on this sucker! The width is something I wanted to have - my current blog is too narrow, and the images are a bit small.

Thanks everybody, I'll get to work on these recommendations. :)

7. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I would probably make the rss icon slightly smaller. it looks too big in that nav bar. apart from that, it is pretty awesome

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Totally agree, too big, but otherwise cool. :cool:

FJ

9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I think it's perfect.

Very fast load, maybe make the text a little bigger default (then again I'm viewing on a 1440x900 monitor)

Nice job!

Going to have to bookmark this site when you're finished.

EDIT: Added it already, in anticipation