Brushed Metal Effect in Leopard

z970mp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Uncharted Waters
Quick post. I just found a way to get a (pseudo) brushed metal effect in Leopard without any hacks or wizardry, and as far as I can tell, it's been hiding under our noses the entire time.

Under Displays in System Preferences, switch the Colors to Thousands instead of Millions.

Before:

Picture 1.png

After:

Picture 2.png

Before:

Picture 3.png

After:

Picture 4.png

Now, it is worth mentioning that I'm also using the Mountain Leopard theme, so that may or may not affect your results depending on your own setup.

EDIT: Turns out, it does indeed affect your results. You will need the Mountain Leopard theme downloadable here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mountain-leopard-powerpc-theme-3-0.1410493/ to see this effect. It's a beautiful theme, and you can choose which parts of it to install. I'd recommend installing it, even just for what it brings you on it's own. It even comes with an uninstaller so you can take it out later on if you so choose.

Though I haven't been able to extensively test this theory, it may also improve graphical performance on less capable systems, such as low-end G4s, since the GPU doesn't have to work as hard. This theoretical advantage could also go for Tiger and prior versions on G3s.

PS: While attempting to notice any HD video difference between the two modes by playing 720p YouTube in full screen on regular millions of colors within TenFourFox FPR9, I noticed the video wasn't lagging as much as it should have. Though I haven't tested this extensively either, I wonder if TFF FPR9 or perhaps FPR8 quietly brought an under-the-hood tweak that improves video playback? I know that, usually, playing back a 20 minute unbuffered 720p video would have been very choppy on my DC G5, but this time it was actually watchable. Nothing changed on my end, and it isn't unreasonable to assume a significant optimization was sometime implemented in TenFourFox. Unless I'm extraordinarily inattentive to my own setup and its historical capabilities (which isn't entirely out of the question, either...), maybe this can be reproduced on other machines?

I hope this was useful, or at least interesting to you all.

Last edited:

z970mp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Uncharted Waters
Well that's just great.

Thanks for clarifying.
[doublepost=1537250432][/doublepost]
But nice to know that if I did install the theme, that I could get the look!
And potentially better graphical performance to boot (when on Thousands).

Potentially.

Last edited:
Reactions: torvan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.