Brushed steel apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by skimcpip, May 27, 2015.

1. skimcpip macrumors regular

I remember way back when I had the first iPhone, I was concerned about scuffing on the bezel. I recall finding instructions for brushing the bezel with a scotch-rite sponge in small circular motions to give it a brushed metal look rather than a shiny look. Granted the watch is steel, not chrome, but I wonder if you could do the same with the Apple Watch?

Here's an example with an iPhone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLSeVx_q1I

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Satin or a stone wash finish would look nice too.

3. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

youre afraid to scuff the stainless steel so in response youre going to scuff the hell out of it?

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I hope apple offers a stainless Apple watch with a brushed finish in the future. I don't like the mirrored finish very much.

5. skimcpip thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that's one way to look at it, but I just think brushed metal looks nicer than shiny metal, which looks nicer than scuffed metal.

6. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Actually Brushed finishes on things constantly in contact with skin are more of a problem. I had a titanium ring that was half smooth and half brushed and within 3 months it was all smooth.

A ring wears evenly smooth whilst the watch would wear smooth in a definite pattern. The rough anodised aluminium is a better choice than steel to preserve a matte effect and I think the polished look on the steel is going to be easier to maintain.

7. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

People prefer brushed stainless steel finishes on watches because it doesn't show the surface scratches that polished stainless steel does.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It would make a good match with the stainless steel link bracelet...

... which, of course, is also brushed.

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

this goes back to the ipod early years. The back was stainless steel and it was shiny like a mirror, but it lasted like 2 days before getting massively scratches.

Some brushing made it look beautiful.
    http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/bc/747x500px-bc3e2ec5__DSC0176.JPG

the main reason I'm not buying the SS watch is because I really hate shiny metal surfaces. But I love the matt finish of the aluminium watch.,

10. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

I did this to mine :p

11. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

same here, if I remember correctly I did it to a 3rd gen and then 4th gen.

12. crawdad62 macrumors regular

crawdad62

I use a Scotch pad on my "regular" watches all the time. It takes the scratches out of the clasps from resting you wrist on a desk or something. A circular motion would be hard to get a consistent finish. Most brushed metals have a grain to them. As long as you brush the pad along the grain it looks great. Of course with a SS finish that's not brushed you'd have to make the grain yourself. You'll never get a satin finish like the aluminum version has using a pad.