Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
This is by far a much better painting app than all those doodlers for the iphone.

Here's what I drew in 5 minutes.

It's so easy to use, has all the core functionality you need.
No need eraser (infinte undo and redos)... and even an eyedropper (that's VERY nicely implemented). The best part that I liked was the opacity. It's just great. The menus are nicely laid out, the controls are hidden when you start painting. It's pretty smart the way it works. Tapping on the bottom will make the controls show up, just as intuitively as you'd expect. No need to read instructions or anything like that. It's very very easy to use.

I think all iPhone apps should try to remember about the fact that we are mobile users... and we want things easy to use. And yes, you can Pinch to zoom in zoom out. Just as you would expect. The gallery interface is exactly like the photo gallery from the default apple app.

If you are an artist or someone who likes to paint or sketch on the go... I highly highly recommend this app.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Thanks for alerting us of the price drop. Last time I looked at Brushes was when I just got Flipbook, so I put it off. But at $1, I'll have to try it now.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Well I bought it and I started something on my lunch break, then worked on it whenever I had a minute to spare. Finished it off when I got home and just messed with it for an hour.

Here's the result:

iphone_painting.jpg

I know it's not the most artistic thing, but still amazing that it was done all on an iPhone with a finger for $1. Still, it looks good as my wallpaper.

I don't think I ever reached the limit of undos. Very useful so you can experiment without risk. Though, you can duplicate any painting in the app's gallery. The zoom works nice, in that while using pinch to zoom you can still scroll at the same time, a real time saver. And from a recent update, the ability to slide the drawing away from the edge is a real plus so you don't lose quality near the edges like other drawing apps. The quick color picker is essential too. You tap and hold in a spot and you can start grabbing colors fast, which is useful to blend shades with fewer steps. Oh, the exported image from Brushes was at 533*800, pretty large.

I could think up a dozen things to add to the app, but at a dollar, or even $5, it's worth the price. Maybe one day a pro version for $10 with more advance features.

moopf

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
United Kingdom
Picked this up yesterday and I'm impressed. Already have Colors! and I like parts of both of them. I guess Colors! gives you a little bit more control over strokes and I do like the way that brush, color and opacity is selected on the same screen with that (just makes it a little quicker) but I have to say that Brushes seems a little bit quicker with undo and a little more accurate.

Both are excellent apps and great for doodling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.