Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Surprised how many commenters are unfamiliar with the vertical docks (previously Henge, acquired by Brydge a few months ago). The vertical docks have been on the market for many years, and owners seem to swear by them.

Just actually received my Brydge vertical stand for my 13" MBP yesterday. Now wondering what was revised (I might give them a call in a bit).

I had a Henge dock for my 15" MBP for years and loved it. It made using my MBP as a desktop machine while at the office a much better of an experience. While I've utilized stands (such as the BookArc) in the past, not having to unplug cables just felt like a better solution.

While pricey, the cost can easily be justified by the convenience factor (for me).

As far as the heat comment: I've been using Apple notebooks in clamshell mode for two decades, no issues yet.

How are you actually using it? 1 USB-C for power and another to a USB-C monitor? That seems like the only way to use this.

jodysmith21

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
I had the 15" model for my 2017 MBP. It was ok. The internal TB3 connectors scratched the case, because while alignment was ok, it needs to be very precise and was not. Inserting and taking out the laptop was somewhat of a hassle and I found it to be more trouble that it was worth. I also found a PITA when using my eGPU and/or OWC dock. Not the Henge Dock's fault, but Apple's way of prioritizing the connections. No way to open the lid and change display settings since you had to undock to so. overall it looked GREAT and kept my desk area clean and tidy but when I upgraded to the 16" MBP I didn't even consider the vertical dock.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
This looks like an accident waiting to happen.

On the other hand, I've had iPads go flying off of surfaces (desks, countertops) over the years, but at least they are inside of a case; as such I've never had any issue.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Wouldn’t it be better to sit vertically on the long side so you have easier access to the ports and make the dock cheaper overall?

pointj

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
How are you actually using it? 1 USB-C for power and another to a USB-C monitor? That seems like the only way to use this.

One USB-C for a dock (with pass-through power), the other for the monitor. If needed, the ports on the top of the machine can be used as well.

Reactions: MacKool-Aid

TravelsInBlue

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2020
Laptops have been designed to run while closed for years and years. I've never experienced such damage from doing so.

Yeah but the MacBooks after 2016 are delicate flowers. They need to be run lid-open, gently used, given breaks in between renders and removed from a plug periodically to prevent battery swelling.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Laptops usually radiate most of their heat from their keyboard apertures; won't MacOS throttle the processor as the case temperature rises?

Reactions: Stenik

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
PSA: clamshell is terrible for performance
Yeah but the MacBooks after 2016 are delicate flowers. They need to be run lid-open, gently used, given breaks in between renders and removed from a plug periodically to prevent battery swelling.

The ventilation ports are equally as accessible regardless of the screen being closed, why would it matter?

Or is the claim that the unibody design is intended(unintended but utilized for?) for heat dissipation and the screen acts as an insulator?

MacKool-Aid

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Feels less like a premium product with BRYDGE tattooed on the side. The front logo is subtle, should have stuck with just that.
These were originally designed by Henge Docks and Brydge bought/absorbed them. I have had one since they released the first ones and love it.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Great idea and seemingly a solid but $169 is a bit too pricey for my budget unfortunately.

I keep flip-flopping between going with an iMac or going with a Macbook + Display for my next computer.

MacKool-Aid

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Laptops usually radiate most of their heat from their keyboard apertures; won't MacOS throttle the processor as the case temperature rises?
Has one of these for years now and the macbook has no issues. Runs perfectly.
[automerge]1594828700[/automerge]
Isn't the problem with this design that you're stuck with a useless stand if you upgrade your device and Apple slightly shifts the ports.
Just like every time apple changes a port and I have to rebuy every dongle?? LOL
[automerge]1594828754[/automerge]
What is that monitor setup they have pictured?
I run double monitors off mine.
[automerge]1594829176[/automerge]
Correct! However you do have two ports still available on the macbook. If I want to use my second monitor I just plug it into one of those.
I wonder if there’s any long term screen damage from heat when running a MBP closed. ?
Never had an issue in the last 2 years or so.

Last edited:

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Looks nice but no thunderbolt would leave my monitors stranded. Also I like having it open with its screen acting as a place to put reference windoEd. Good for space saving though, I guess.

From the web site:
* Thunderbolt 3 with 40 Gbps data throughput (x 2)

Pretty sure this is largely a pass through of two ports on the side. I have my MBP in clamshell mode but on a generic horizontal stand. I'm not a fan of dock products like this that fit only particular models of MBP, nor one that is essentially a pass through. Reason I never bought a Henge and won't be buying this either.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I wonder if there’s any long term screen damage from heat when running a MBP closed. ?

My 2015 MacBook Pro runs cooler when in clamshell mode. 5 degrees Celsius cooler.

I think as long as intake and out vents not blocked this is not a problem.

It says this dock adds a fan to the dock itself. So with this I would imagine runs even cooler.

dscottj431

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
Lots of typical MR forum hate from people who either don't own the product, are cheap, or particular.

I've used this design and the previous one for years with no issues whatsoever. This version is more reliable since the ports are fixed instead of attached via set screws. If you "missed" a dock with the previous version it'd push the connectors down and then things wouldn't connect right until you reset them.

I have seen no issues with screen damage due to heat, and I've used these docks for seven years. They do not block any vents, and the air goes sideways-then-up, instead of up through the chassis as it would if you were using the cheaper / simpler metal docks with the back end on the bottom. Point-by-point:
  • Using this with an MBP 16 and a problematic internal microphone: Use a headset.
  • Reduces ports: Nope. Duplicates the two it uses. Does not reduce. -1.
  • Executive jewelry: It's for a Mac. Duh.
  • Scratches the ports: If you're wanting to maximize your resale value by keeping it absolutely pristine, yup, this isn't for you. I like the convenience better than the resale value, and my ports work fine with slight scratches that are only visible when I'm really looking for them.
  • A simpler laptop stand works just as well: True, to a point. With other designs you have to manually connect/disconnect cables each time you use it. That introduces wear & scratches too. Is this dock worth the premium? It's for a Mac. Duh.
  • A built-in fan would definitely be new, but I don't see any indication of that on their website. It has vents, not fans.
I like them because they look cool, work well, and provide clean, easy connects and disconnects from my peripherals.

Mac people complaining about overpriced peripherals makes me smile.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Sorry I don't get it. I think it looks better flat on a desk and I'm sure I would accidentally knock it over at some point. Plus you have the option of having another screen just leaving it flat. Seems like a waste of $170 bucks + applicable taxes but that's just me. Their portable add on keyboards are decent though.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
$170 for a stand that is covered in logos, isn't future proof if you upgrade to a laptop with even SLIGHTLY modified size/port placement, AND you need to remove all wires before removing the computer from the dock! This is a joke, right?

Reactions: PhilMacbook

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
How do they pass through Thunderbolt?
Does that mean theoretical Thunderbolt
extension is possible?

dscottj431

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
You don't need to remove the wires from the Brydge dock, that's the point. You need to do that with the simpler ones. Thunderbolt is passed through just fine. I'm reasonably sure the connections are purely electrical.

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
Would I be correct in thinking 'intakes and exhaust vents' = 'air holes'? If so, I think the people who made that expensive but average product are a bunch of marketing air holes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
Here is my take - I would give a credit to their vertical design for those who need to put a MacBook in a portrait mode instead of the more traditional landscape mode (eg. Twelve South BookArc, RainDesign mTower, etc) which also provides similar setup that facilitates better cooling to the laptop because it is elevated.

However, due to the vertical design, this particular Brydge product is less adaptable to various generation of Macbook as sitting on the height of the laptop, the holding portion of the stand has to have a snug fit for decent stability. So it means you may have to buy another stand when you replace your MacBook.

I find the Twelve South BookArc (which I own the old version and the current version)more robust as it uses different inserts for different kinds/generation of MacBooks. Over the past 10 years, there is only 2 versions of BookArc. The original one which has a bigger hole to fit the older generation of MacBook Pro and the newer one which the ones after around 2015 or later.

Not like Brydge couldn't produce such a timeless product but for a vertical design, you have such a limitation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.